I want a SMALLER screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krazy Bill, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Am I the only one that actually prefers their phone to be somewhat “mobile”? (Yes, it’s a cell phone first and foremost to me).

3.5” on my iP4/4s is just right, even with my crappy eyesight. I like to carry mine in a front shirt pocket. Nekkid - no gaudy bumper that turns it into a brick that totally contradicts it’s slim design. I do everything on my 4S. Have my entire library of books and can read them quite nicely. Movies? doable but is 6” really any better? Is *any* screen really big enough when watching a movie? Besides, I never put myself in a position where I need to watch video on a “cell phone”.

Don’t understand this clamoring for big-assed displays in phones that only make them cumbersome and unwieldy. (But you do look downright funny with a phablet stuck to the side of your head).

2. gopnick macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind having options. It's a business decision by Apple to standardize screen sizes.

3. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Agree. I like the 3.5 screen as well.

Their marketing for the 5 was BS. it does not fit in your hand and you can not sweep you finger from top to bottom. people must have giant hands, because 3.5 fits perfectly in my hand the 5 is too tall.

4. Ann P, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

Used a 4 the other day and it felt cramped. I have small, petite hands and the size of iPhone 5/5s is just right in my opinion. If they just keep the form factor and expand the screen to the edges, it will be perfect.

5. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Me too. The white/gold + 3.5 inch is exactly what I want. Sadly, the 5 sold well enough so I don't think they'll be going back.

Also hesitant to upgrade because I have about 20 cases for the 4.

6. kalexn macrumors 6502

The 5 is my favorite screen size. I am worried they are going to increase the size for the 6 and I really don't want a bigger one. When I see the other phones they look like tablets instead of phones!

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I would love to have a 3.5" top spec phone. An iPhone 4 with a smaller body is ideal. Android could sway me with such a phone. But for all its supposed choice it doesn't deliver.

8. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Some of us just want a bigger screen. It's okay if you disagree.

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

This is hilarious. Now those are some fanboys words.

10. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

They probably still make flip phones... i'd recommend those if you want a small phone. Smartphones are made for people using for "smart" things, thus a bigger screen makes sense.

11. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

No, these are words from someone that does NOT want a bigger phone. I agree 100%. I have a smaller hand & use my phone A LOT one handed. The 5 is sometimes hard to reach all around with my thumb. I would be very pissed if I was forced to use a bigger one (if I want bigger I'll use my iPad mini). I still think they're ridiculous looking and would not want a phone that doesnt fit into my little pockets.

Having said that, I do completely agree it makes sense to at least give people a choice between small & big.

12. iAlphard macrumors regular

Precisely, bigger screen acts the same as like you have an adequate personal computer that fits in your pocket or suit instead of bringing a laptop everywhere.
    If you want just a phone, solely for just one hand operation, why not just use an ancient nokia 3110 with black and white screen, battery that lasts for a week and so strong you can even kill a dog with it.

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

No one forces you to buy any smartphone from any vendor.
    From the statement I quoted, it seems like there is some sort of entity forcing you to have the latest phone, so let's hope it will not feature a larger screen. Otherwise I'll just suffer when blindly buying it.

14. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Want and not need a bigger screen. And for us with small hands (like me) the smaller screen is better.

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The 4" screen on the iPhone 5 is pretty much perfect for me. The 3.5" was a bit to cramped and any bigger than 4" would be to much of a stretch for one handed use. I feel pretty sure we will be getting an even larger phone with the 6, question is if it will be the only top spec or an additional model.

16. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

For a phone that goes in my front pocket, the smaller the better as far as I'm concerned. Of course I don't want to sacrifice power or battery life, so the phone needs to be big enough to house a full day battery. But the 3.5" is a fine size screen in my opinion.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You need to also consider the business end user of smartphones. It's not just for gaming or movies, but used to read documents such as word, excel, and powerpoint. Smartphones are used to draft/edit business letters; to later print them (using air print for example), leaving behind laptops. This is the group that 'may' require a bigger screen. And it would've been nice if Apple offered a choice for these end users.

18. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Bigger screen exists. iPad Mini and iPad. Read lots on those. Problem solved. Apple does offer the choice you want right now.

19. iAlphard macrumors regular

Can you fit an ipad mini or ipad inside your cotton pocket or your suit pocket? We need another new choice in between ipad mini and iphone.

20. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

I want 2.5" screen, I think 3.5 was too big already. Actually make that 1.8" ;)
    Lol

21. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Most of the people want bigger screen phones so apple is giving what they want :rolleyes:

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I totally agree, the 5 took some getting used to and I like it, but every time I handle a 4.5"+ phone it just seems bulky without adding that much benefit.

23. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

You want another new choice in between ipad mini and iPhone. I think it's not needed. The business end user often has a brief case that is easily large enough to fit an iPad or iPad Mini in. This is right tool for the right job issue. The iPhone is not the best e-book reader because of it's size. But the iPhone is not trying to be an e-book reader.

Also Apple should not enter every little niché market. Apple tried that in the 1990's and it almost bankrupted them. Just pick a few markets that you can milk for profit and be done with it.

24. Jon1323 macrumors member

Yeah I like the size it is now, don't really want to see it get much bigger.

25. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

That's my point. I see a trend and It is this:

Making-phone-call-on-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8.jpg

A trend driven by media consumption on a "Phone" trying to be all things to all people.