I want a wired Magic Mouse… please.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheSpaz, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I like the Magic Mouse, but it's a little on the heavy side (I thought I could use it with one battery like you can with the bluetooth Mighty Mouse, but you can't).

Also, the tracking speed is too slow when moving slowly. It seems like if I'm browsing through a menu or trying to get to my dock, my wrist reaches an uncomfortable state because the cursor starts to really crawl along and I'm struggling to get to the end of the menu.

Another thing that is sort of bothering me is the inertia scrolling. I thought it would be really smooth like the iPhone, but scrolling web pages stutters a bit and as it slows down, it gets choppy. Also, scrolling through stuff like iTunes library looks bad as well. I turned this feature off for now.

I like the wired version of the Mighty Mouse for the weight, accurate and fast tracking, but I'd like the touch scrolling and shape of the Magic Mouse.

Hopefully Apple will release a wired version of this mouse. By the way, the Pinch-to-Zoom function would not work on this mouse because when you try to pinch, it thinks you're trying to do 2 finger swipe. That's probably why you still have to use the control key.

It's a slick looking mouse though… just wish it was a tad lighter and a tad faster at tracking at slower movements.

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

Yeah i'm kind of irritated that the scrolling is sometimes not as smooth as the iphone always is.

3. beaner454 macrumors regular

Something an engineer from the iPhoto team told a year ago seems pretty relevant here

"It's a Hell of a lot easier to make something like an iPod or an iPhone scroll through smoothly when you have a small screen, dedicated predictable resources, and next to no background processes."

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

"Also, the tracking speed is too slow when moving slowly..."

What'd you expect? Fast tracking when moving slowly? It's supposed to move slowly when you move slowly.

You can adjust the tracking speed and other options in System Preferences. For my MM, the default tracking speed and scrolling speed is too slow. So I set both of them two notches below the max. Works great, you might want to try that.

iTunes scrolling always lags because it has to load the album art. I find that scrolling through it slowly once (to cache the album art) will make it scroll faster and smoother later on.

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yeah, but what i've noticed under OSX is that slow mouse movements make the mouse cursor move WAY too slow, at least compared to windows. For example, when moving slowly, its almost a 1:1 ratio of my hand movement to the cursor on the screen. Only problem is that my screen is over 20", and my mousepad is a small 8" square, and my hand generally only wants to move around 25% of that mousepad area. Under windows I can zip around the screen no problem. But under OSX it feels like its moving through sludge, no matter how high the cursor acceleration is set to.

Overall i'd say apple really needs to refine their mouse acceleration curve.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is what people, especially the OP, simply do not understand. When you have the concentrated area the scrolling can be nearly spot on. When you have varied resolutions you're going to have a variance. Apple has to find the middle ground and so far they have not with the Magic Mouse. I tried it on my MB Air screen and then my Mini (connected to a 47" LCD) and the mouse behaved differently all around.
    I am using a larger mat that functions as a desk pad, but your idea of the 1:1 movement is actually very good. I too notice my tracking area is larger. I have some stuff on my desk that is taking up room, I've had to move it around a bit because I kept hitting it with my hand. It is not exactly 1:1, but it may as well be.

Apple needs to improve on their middle ground, as stated. This mouse can be amazing and as much as I like it, it needs improvement. What is nice is that it is a software fix and not a hardware one.

@TheSpaz your complaints/ideas in this post are things that are being discussed on this site already so you're not entirely alone but you should search first.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm just slightly annoyed because my wired Mighty Mouse is better when I'm moving slow… it covers more area at the same speed of my hand.

Turning up the tracking doesn't improve how slow the cursor goes when moving your hand slower.

Don't get me wrong… there's no lag or stuttering of the cursor while I'm using this Magic Mouse, but when I go to click something, I find myself naturally slowing down and then getting annoyed because the cursor is moving too slow for me. Zipping the cursor around is no problem.

It's kind of hard to explain… it's just not like my wired mouse. I wish they would have kept the cursor movement curves the same.

Edit: By the way… I'm using an ATI Radeon 4870 with 512MB of VRAM… that's why I didn't think the scrolling would stutter. The iPhone isn't using graphics anywhere CLOSE to this.

8. Aadhil macrumors regular

I think maximizing your settings will solve the problem.
    Go to System Preferences --> Mouse --> make sure "Tracking" is at maximum. I had the same problems you described but maxing out Tracking solved the issue.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I did maximize my settings... It just doesn't work like my wired mouse. I'm not saying that there's lag, because it's very smooth tracking, it's just too slow even on the maximum settings. If I quickly zip the cursor around, it's fine, but when I move slow, it goes "too slow".

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

11. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

This is a great application.

For causing Kernel Panics.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

13. maclook macrumors 65816

i want a wired version to cut down on price and not have to worry about batteries.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

A wired version of this mouse would be sooooooo great, but Apple seems to be moving away from wires as much as possible. It's only a matter of time until even the power is wireless.

15. tirerim macrumors regular

If the power were wireless, it would be great. Batteries are obnoxious, though.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

likewise

i hate batteries

17. bishopdante macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse is too heavy, the tracking is sloppy and has latency, thanks to bluetooth, and the one I've got now seems to eat a set of duracell batteries in a few days! It cost about the same as an external hard disk, and smelt of solvents for 2 weeks after opening it.

I would seriously have preferred something of much lower weight which just had a wire. But no. Apple don't do wires on mice. I'm now using the transparent white one off a G5.

18. ray648 macrumors regular

I want a wired version so I can plug it into the back of my thunderbolt display and have it work on whichever laptop is plugged in at the time.

19. iCaleb macrumors 6502

Until Apple can make solar powered mice/trackpads they should really offer both wired and wireless options for all peripherals.

I'd rather have ugly wires over changing batteries all the time.

Also wired peripherals NEVER disconnect randomly.

20. bishopdante macrumors newbie

I'm seriously f*cked off with this magic mouse. It can't hold a connection to the mac for more than 10 minutes, half the time it doesn't bloody work. It doesn't like new batteries. It doesn't like old batteries. It's heavy. The tracking is sludgy.

Why on earth does apple not make a wired mouse for professional use? You can trust a wire. I plugged in 10 year old perspex single button mouse and realised exactly how bad the magic mouse is, even when it's working. Which most of the time it isn't! Maybe I've got a dud one? I dunno. It was *expensive* though, when I got it I threw it in a bag for a few months I got that annoyed with its failure to stay connected. Got it out again, and it behaved sort of until I replaced the batteries, and now it's super unreliable again. I'm pissed off. It hates new batteries?!

----------

I've been here before. LOL. It's no better now than it was then.

----------

Seiko Kinetic springs to mind...

21. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Sorry you feel that way about the mouse, I enjoy using mine very much, versatile and easy to move about.

As far as the connectivity, have you tried deleting the profile from the bluetooth preferences? Try deleting it then reconnecting as a new device. That usually clears up intermittent connectivity issues for me...well that or fresh batteries :)

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

We run a a few student computer labs at the university. For obvious reasons we can only use wired mice.

The wired Mighty Mouse is great at first for our labs, but has a close to 100% failure rate after about a year. The scroll ball just completely stops working. The Magic Mouse would probably be a more reliable design if we could get them wired.

In the end, we just get the Mighty Mice and replace them with generic PC mice when they fail. Sure, it looks fugly but Apple has left us no choice.

23. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi