I want an external Blu-ray burner for my rMBP - open to suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Anarchy99, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

I've gotten tired of waiting for a external superdrive thats bluray from apple (or any bluray support from apple, considering they have been part of the BDA since 05 they aren't very committed :/ )

so I'm looking for one for my rMBP preferably i'd like it to be a slim drive since il be using it with my macbook primarily and i want it to power stictly off USB if possible.
    Im also curious I've seen a few (pioneer and buffalo come to mind) that are USB 3.0 does that actually matter for a bluray drive? would there actually be a performance increase over one that was USB 2.0?

any comments or suggestions about one are welcome

2. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive been eying this one. it supports BD-R XL (Dual/Triple/Quad layer) so you can record 25 gb 50 gb and 100 gb disks. the 25 gb disks are the cheapest but it would be nice to just burn 100 gigs of data on one disk for a backup.

http://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-...qid=1409701156&sr=8-4&keywords=blue+ray+drive

and for blue ray software I use Mac Go blue ray player. It plays every blue ray ive ever thrown at it and updates to new encryption constantly.

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I have a related question. What software would you use on the Mac to play a Blu-ray from a drive like this?

I know there's VLC, but I heard it can be a pain to depend on up-to-date license files, etc. Is there a legitimate, commercial solution for the Mac?

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/features.htm

5. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

How is the failure rate on that. Ive read multiple places anything over 6x for blue ray burning you risk the chance of making a coaster. Thats why most dvd recordable disks you see them say 6x or 4x. My 6x burner with 6x disks has made 50 disks now without a single error.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not really sure. I've never made a BD before, just DVD's. I don't think I've made any DVD coasters with it yet. I only bought it so I could rip my BD's and DVD's to iTunes via Handbrake.

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I've got one of these, it's pretty compact with a built in USB cord and the brushed finish compliments the aluminum Macs. And it even does Lightscribe. I use it mostly for ripping Blurays...mostly. :D

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Original-External-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/9573213850

You may find them cheaper on ebay, I got mine there last year for $54.