I want an iPad and I don't want an iPad... ahhh!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bat Commander, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Bat Commander macrumors member

What a messed up decision to make. I want one really bad, but at the same time, I don't want one. Let me explain please.

I tried one at Best Buy and I almost immediately got out my credit card, but I stopped myself and said... wait... think about what you're doing first.

So I started thinking about it. Here are my thoughts...

iPad Pros:
    1. It's very cool. Everything seemed so seamless and fluid. It's so easy to just tap what you want with your finger instead of using a trackpad and cursor. The trackpad just seems so boring in comparison

2. The build quality and LCD screen are so beautiful.

3. There are a lot of iPhone/iPad specific apps that just aren't available for the computer.

Now for the iPad cons:
    1. I already have a MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and an iPhone.

2. I know I'm not going to be carrying the iPad around. It's too big to stick it in my pocket and I'm definitely not going to bring it to work with me.

3. It's too big to use as an iPod in my car

4. No file system. This means that if I'm at band practice and we're learning a new song... I can't just send the song to my Dad's computer. I'd need a real computer with a file system to do that.

5. It's not something you're going to want to type on for long periods of time. I can see it getting tiresome like the iPhone. If I spend too much time typing on an iPhone, I eventually just hop on a computer and use a keyboard... it's so much easier than tapping a flat screen. Plus, there's nowhere to rest your fingers on the keys in-between typing.

6. It's a bit awkward to hold in your lap to type with 2 hands and it's a little too big to use it with 1 hand while standing up.

You see, I just have this feeling like it's not going to be able to replace my MacBook Pro for portability (they're both just as portable).

It's not going to replace my iPhone (I take my iPhone everywhere, but my iPad will stay at home due to it's larger size).

It's definitely not a replacement computer. It's like an extension of the computer, but not a replacement. I like being able to do anything on my Mac Pro or MacBook Pro.

So while the iPad is really, cool, innovative, easy, well designed and fast, I just don't see myself using it very much if I had one. I am however, very jealous and impressed by it and being the huge Apple geek that I am... I just want one to have one, but I also have to be logical and self-disciplined.

I must resist... I must.

Oh, and I forgot to add... I never have to wipe off my MacBook Pro screen because I don't have to touch it. That would probably drive me nuts constantly wiping a large screen as opposed to my iPhone screen.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

LOL. Just give in and get it.

The way the apps work on the "big" screen is very different than the little iPhone screen. Instant on, book reading, "HD" games, etc etc

I have basically the same array of gear (Mac desktop, laptop, iPhone), plus a Toshiba Tablet PC. I'm still finding lots of use for the iPad.

4. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Random responses:

It is too big to use an iPod in the car - I am now trying to find a way to raise extra cash to pay for my iPad without selling my iPod as I initially planned.

Screen smudges are not bad at all, while the unit is on. I guess it's because the screen is so bright or whatever.

Despite the negatives, though, every time I pick it up I realize that it is (or has the potential to be in the very near future) the best piece of electronics I have purchased.

5. Tallgrass macrumors member

Tallgrass

I have a 17" notebook and a 15" notebook. Did I need the iPad?
    No, but I wanted it and I could afford it, so I bought it. I really like it, and have been using it more then my notebook since I received it Saturday.
    With that said, if spending $500+ does not burden you, treat yourself and buy an iPad. You will no doubt enjoy it.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Actually you have some very good points. I was thinking the same thing before I purchased it last Saturday.

What I'm finding out is that the iPad works well for casual "looking". I use it basically as an appliance. It sits on a counter at home. If I want to look up something real quick, check my e-mail or my calender, the iPad is at my fingertips. Sure, the iPhone can do this but the iPad is much eaiser to read and fast...very fast as compared to the iPhone especially when surfing. I also have my local newspaper loaded every day on the iPad instead of having the paper version delivered.

When bored, games are also a great way to pass the time on the iPad. The graphics are stunning compared to the iPhone.

I promise you that when you buy an iPad, it will find its place in your life. It won't replace anything, it will simply add to the conveniences of your household.

7. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Just buy it...you know you want to. :p

Not sure what the Apple Store return policy is, but get it from a place that gives you 30 days to return it in case you find out it's not for you.

8. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat: certainly the iPad passes the inspector gadget test--it's damn slick and will completely eliminate eReaders and the eInk screen technology.

But, after getting a good solid demo of one, I didn't see anything that I couldn't do with an iPhone...if only the iPhone had a higher resolution screen.

And unlike the iPhone, the iPad is too large to be something that is consistently with me. Yet at the same time, is not quite "computer-y" enough to take on a trip as a sole device. For traveling, I have a Mini 9 Hackintosh that is the same weight as the iPad, has 2GB of RAM, 64GB SSD and runs the full, real Mac OS 10.6. But it doesn't have the sexiness of the iPad, it is function over form.

So for now, I am waiting to see if the next generation iPhone really does have a better screen. Since the new iPhone will probably around $500, you might also want to save your coldhard for a few months and just upgrade your phone.

9. Bat Commander thread starter macrumors member

Well, that's another thing that draws me toward the iPad... the big screen. Browsing the web in Safari on it is really nice on it. No zooming needed. I'm not into book reading, so that's not a major selling point to me.

Some very good points. Thank you for that. I may just get the next iPhone (especially if it looks just like a mini iPad). The next iPhone should be about the same speed as the GPS, with a couple of new hardware features (like better screen, new design, front facing camera, etc).

I already have 2 portable devices that are better than the iPad in usability.

10. myoldwatermill macrumors member

About the whole file system thing. Use drop box. It will sync to your computers and iPad to a single folder that is definitely a workable substitute as a file system.

At the very least, it has been more then a suitable replacement for me.

Also don't forget that you could always get one (and ipad) and then down size on your electronics. If you feel like the iPad, down the line, totally replaces your MacBook or iPod you can always just sell them.

Just a few thoughts. I know it is hard to resist the shiny.

11. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Geez man, I'm having the same exact problem. I want to go out and buy one SO badly, but I have a Unibody macbook pro, 23" cinema display, iPhone 3gs, 2 PC laptops in the house, I could even get online with my PS3 slim.

There is just NO logical reason for me to get one, other than that I WANT one. I tried it out at the apple store and it was great, but it's just so hard to decide.

I'm arguing with myself, pros/cons, pros/cons, just go buy it, no, don't waste the money, I'll be bored with it in 2-3 hours, No, maybe I'll love it.

I JUST DON'T KNOW!!!! AHHHHHHH:apple:

12. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

You only live once. If I like I buy. I got all the above just like you. Typing on the iPad is way faster than the iPhone. This thing is no problem to chuck in a sleeve and carry round.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You don't NEED one, you WANT one. Make up your own damned mind.

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

Random thoughts:

If I get one, I'm going to badly want to find some way to put a mount for it in my car. It would be the best carputer/gps/music player/movie player EVAR.

I'm SO GLAD OS 4 will eventually bring multitasking to the iPad (along with other unannounced features I bet). That takes away the biggest argument for not getting one.

The lack of a file system is still a key drawback for me. My iPhone is jailbroken and I depend on iFile and Attachmentsaver to do file system functions. It's a little convoluted, but I can save an attachment from an email or download a file in Safari and save it, then use iFile to move it to the Docs folder of the app of my choice (say Goodreader or Docs to Go), edit or view it, and reattach it to an email and send it.

If the iPad is jailbroken, I'm golden for a while, but I'd REALLY like to see Apple address this natively. I realize that suddenly kicks up the UI complexity a notch, but they just gotta find a way.

15. Bat Commander thread starter macrumors member

I know how you feel. I doubt you'd be bored with it within hours, but maybe you'll start finding that you actually need a real computer for things that the iPad lacks. It's hard to resist the full Mac OS X experience where you have the freedom to do whatever you want with it. If you're an experienced Mac user, you'll want full Mac OS X and the power of a MacBook Pro. The thing is... the iPad isn't as portable as the iPhone and the MacBook Pro is almost as portable as the iPad.

You have 2 options basically: Slide to Unlock or Open Lid.

16. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Its not a device that anyone NEEDS, its just one of those that's nice to have. If you have a desktop computer and a mobile phone, you dont need one. That doesnt mean you dont want one though.

I thought i wouldnt use my netbook, i have two desktops and a full sized laptop, but for casual browsing i use the netbook mostly, because its so light and works sat on the sofa. The iPad would replace the netbook for me. Everything the netbook can do that the iPad cant, it does badly. Those things are better done on one of my other computers anyway.

I dont expect mine would leave my home much, but i would use it on long flights or train journeys, for movies or eBooks mostly. Its just nice to have that otpion.

17. jacobson00 macrumors member

went thru the same dilemma, after a while i gave in and said screw it..i am getting in. I walked in the store, and they had the white one. I looked pissed when they ran my bank card. But i got out i was in smile deep inside.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's really simple. The iPad is nothing one actually needs and if you have an iPhone, you really won't use it much outside the confines of your home.

I have a iPad 2 WiFi + 3G with no plan right now. I brought it on a 9 day vacation with me, thinking I would end up looking touristy stuff up on-the-fly, augmenting my vacation experience (you know, the people looking at and reading about the Eiffel Tower on their iPad while walking past the real thing).

But, no. It sat in my luggage the whole time. I was actually too busy being on vacation to be bothered with that sort of thing. It's actually too big to lug around with you. Unless you have a huge pocket or a purse. And it you don't have 3G access, it makes the whole thing kinda useless. The notion that free WiFi is widely available is quite a myth. If I wanted quick, convenient info, I would just pull out my iPhone. 100x more convenient, portable, plus constant internet access.

All that said, it is something nice to own and fart around on while on the couch if a family member is hogging the real computer.

19. madat42 macrumors regular

It's a dilemma, that's for sure. I read an article that compared the situation to a microwave oven vs a traditional oven. A microwave can't do everything an oven and stovetop can do, but a microwave adds convenience and saves time. Having both in your kitchen is ideal and almost the norm. If you could only have one, the regular oven makes sense. Apply the same thinking to the iPad and computer/laptop dilemma. If you could only have one, a computer makes sense. Some of us can fortunately have both and I've seen that the iPad is more convenient to browse forums, read articles, play games, use as a chord/song book, and watch movies.

20. dacapo macrumors 6502

I had several "good solid demo's". Then I bought it and brought the thing home. And then I finally realized how claustrophic the iPhone screen is. No comparison.

I also have a netbook & an MBP. The MBP still gets some good usage. But the netbook gets zero usage now. zero.

So, for me the iPad is a netbook replacement and much more...

21. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

getting the iPad quickly makes you realize how confined the iPhone screen is.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. Buy it
    2. Use it
    3A. Return it if you don't like it
    3B. If you only sort of like it buy a used iPad1