I want an iPhone but I don't want to pay $59.99USD/month for a plan :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wwwdotcomdotnet, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

Like the title says, I want an iPhone, but can't stomach $59.99USD (AT&T) a month for a plan when I only use my phone for 200ish minutes a month. I do however want one for the other features, so please do not try to tell me I do not need one :cool:

Has anyone else here had any experience working with AT&T to find another plan? Their websites say the iPhone plans start at $59.99, however on other phones there are plans starting for much less. Thanks!

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's pretty much standard. The voice plans start at $39.99 for 450 minutes (like just about everybody else's do) and you pay an extra $20 for the iPhone data plan, which is unlimited data and 200 free text messages. If you can't stomach the $60 (which will end up being $65), you're better off with an iPod Touch.

3. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Money is not an issue, I would just prefer not to pay for features I am not using on principle.

4. specops macrumors regular

i want want want tooooo

what was the point on this?

iphone plan happens to be a good plan compaired to other providers.

you could drop the 20$ data play and just use phone/wifi but that would suck and kill the whole point of the iphone.

5. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Why would I need to pay for internet access on the phone when I can get wifi almost everywhere I will be with it?

Please don't patronize me for asking a simple question.

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Check out at&t's gophone options. $20 a month for the unlimited data. They also offer a 'pay as you go' option.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What about unlocking it and using whatever plan you want from whomever you chose? Someone must have a GSM plan that's acceptable to you...AFAIK, the iPhone will operate to the extent that it is able to in the absence of EDGE access... just like it would if you were outside of the EDGE coverage.

8. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but like I said, thats not what I want.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah that make sno sense to me either, 1st I am in canada so there is no way im paying Roger's high high high data rates even if they were cheap I would not want to, why would i pay when i can get free wi-fi everywhere i go, the only time i d use it would be in the car while im driving, and surfing the net or using web apps its probably not sos safe while i drive so i think I f rogers plans drop i LL still stick to the plan I am in..

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I thought you could cancel it after a month? (the Data charges)

11. eBay macrumors member

well i guess youre out of luck then.

12. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

My advise is to get a iPod Touch and regular phone.

13. eyespii macrumors 6502

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I pay 33 a month for an ATT plan I use on my iPhone. No data though, just wifi.

15. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

What about an iPod Touch? It should have all of the same features except for the phone part, plus you will be able to get software updates in June. For existing customers, the plan is cheaper than Blackberry plans, so it's really not a bad deal at all!

16. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

how did you go about setting that plan up? did you just register for the typical 59.99 plan and cancel the data transfer charge? any advice would be awesome

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really?

On principle? Really? Good luck with that.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Can't you just click on "other plans" during activation and get a cheaper voice-only plan?

Also, there's T-Mobile... ;)

19. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

If I don't need it, why should I pay for it?

Really, I just asked a question. I did not ask for snide remarks. Whats with all the hostility?

20. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i got lucky i never had to deal with any of that, whenever i try to connect to the interneta nd tehre is no wi-fi my iPhone just says it cannot connect to EDGE because EDGE is not activated,,, love it,, that mean s i ll never have to pay for it...

21. specops macrumors regular

oh and i pay either $45 or $54(can't rememeber which one) a month for my iphone plan. On a family plan with 1500 txt. :p

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I strongly recommend that you do what my SON did...

he has an iPhone, his girlfriend has a Blackberry, and his "wife" has an iPhone! And he pays nothing each month! My wife and I pay the bill.:p

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sweet! Can I sign up on that plan?;)

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, what the hell...

that would mean that I only have to work another 22 years for a 2nd retirement at 3% per year = 66% of my total take home. LOL:p

25. colorspaceaz macrumors newbie

I felt the same way. The iphone is far superior to the touch in many ways. Such as the built in speakers, outside volume control just to name a few.
    the way I activated my phone was to fail the credit test from at&t. to do is when asked for your SSN number add all zeros. this will put you into the month by month billing cycle. than just cancel service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.