I want an iphone but was told not to get one ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by big bri, Apr 11, 2009.

1. big bri macrumors newbie

The other day I went to get a new iphone, and was told instead by the people in the shop that i would be better off with a blackberry, which i found bizzare as they are there to sell the iphone, not make me want another phone.

They kept saying how bad the battery life was, and that it lasted only an hour and a half in some cases.

And that you can not get spare batteries as they are enclosed in the unit.

I really want an iphone and now im sitting on the fence wondering what to do with june approaching do i wait to see if they sort out a better battery or do i just go for the 3g as it stands im so confused.:confused:

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Sounds like people are getting jealous if you do in fact get a fancy iPhone!

Since you don't already have one, I say wait for June/July to roll around. I have a 3G already and it's great, except for AT&T's service is poor for me, and with the beta firmware, my battery does drain quickly. However, it does make it through the whole day. A phone lasting for a half hour to an hour's charge is just plain wrong, and defective. I've never heard of such a case.

But you need to weigh out your own odds.
    Are you willing to wait this long to see if a new iPhone pops up in the summer?
    Do you mind not having a removable battery, and a battery that may drain quickly on you depending on your usage amount?
    Are you willing to pay $80+ a month for your own plan with AT&T?

Good luck! :)

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

There will always be people who, no matter what, are going to be anti-Apple. You probably spoke to one of them. Seeing as though it's not an Apple store, the employees could care less about what you buy.

Truth is, the iPhone is great. Don't listen to people who are against it, as most of them don't know what they're talking about. btw, I keep my iPhone with me all day, use it quite a bit, and doesn't need to recharge til the end of the night.

4. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

The Battery life last longer that that....I spend almost all day texting and surfing the internet and checking my e-mail I at the end of the day I still have 30% of battery left. They are just Anti-Apple thats why they are saying that

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont just listen to what someone told you.
    Go and try both phones and decide for yourself.
    And about the battery life the blackberrys battery is alot worst. Yes you can swap the battery in the blackberry but how many people walk around with a few spare batterys on them?

6. kits macrumors member

If you want get one and find out yourself if you like it. It will take some time to get used to and probably few compromises on somethings you might want.

You can always return or sell it on ebay if it doesn't meet your needs. No phone will have everything we want. If one has everything it will still lack the cool touch response like iPhone and even the good browser like iPhone.

I was initially very worried about battery. Then I ended up ordering car-charger and few USB iPhone cable from monoprice. So, I always have charger in car and an additional iPhone cable. I have one more cable at home and office. Initially, I hated charging couple of times a day but within a week I got used to it.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd wait until June to see what Apple comes out with. There are 2 iPhones in my family and neither have any issues making it through a day on a single battery charge.

8. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Did you go to a Corporate AT&T Store or an Indirect AT&T Retailer? Reason why I ask is Retailers don't stock and arent allowed to sell IPhones. For that reason they will try to sell you into anything but the iPhone. Trust me though, go with your gut instinct. If you want an iPhone get it, nothing else will make you as happy.

9. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Get an iPhone, and wait until June for the new one.

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Don't buy one right now. There will be a new one sometime around June.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

every time i have gone into an AT&T store they recommend against the iPhone.

they told me i wouldn't get reception, that my battery wouldn't last a whole day, and that it isn't as great as it seems.

got my own via craigslist and couldn't be happier :)

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

13. strikingviking macrumors member

I don't know about Blackberry but if you want to know how reliable iPhones are, just surf this forum or the official Apple forum and read about all the problems. I have been very disappointed with the quality of Apple products,

14. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Or you could surf the Blackberry forums and read about all the problems with Blackberrys.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you.. was going to say this............

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sounds like they get commissions when people buy phones other than the iPhone.

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

try it out for yourself.
    What's the worst that can happen, return it get your money back? sell it online? you'll enjoy your new iPhone though trust me. As mostly all of us do on this forum

19. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

they do make more money on other devices.

But I sell at BestBuy Mobile and it really depends on what your lifestyle is if you wanted a recommendation. But if you wanted specific, I wouldn't talk you outta it

20. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I have learned by experience that when you have your heart set on something, you should get THAT VERY THING, because when you substitute, you end up paying DOUBLE. ONCE for the substitute, and ONCE to go back and get what you wanted in the first place....

21. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I used blackberry for work and I love my iPhone. Get what you like, not what other people tell you. My battery life is about the same, and it depends how you use it. If getting one will make you happy, go for it.

22. firewood macrumors 604

What's to be confused about? Of course the sales-droid is going to recommend whatever phone model is going to pad his paycheck with the biggest kickback. Has nothing to do with which phone is better for you. That you have to decide before you go into the store.

Caveat Emptor.

23. Almy macrumors 6502

I'm not an apple fanboy. Heck, my 3G is the first apple product I've ever owned. And I'm not young. But I have been very impressed with it's quality. So much so that I'm seeing why apple lovers are so into their stuff.

24. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you sell ~13 million of *anything*, soon there will be an internet forum awash in problems about it. It could be pet rocks or a high tech multi touch, multi function pocket computer that also makes calls.

Internet forums are the *worst* possible indicator of product quality - only people with problems come to talk about and resolve them.

When is the last time you bought a product and rushed to the internet forum to say how you are having no problems?

25. crazydrumma macrumors regular

That is so incredibly true. Very good point.