I want iTunes to manage my music and movie library but....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maynerd, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Maynerd macrumors regular

If I do this it saves both music and movies on the same drive. I want to have my music on one external drive and my movies on another. Is there a way to have iTunes manage my library but point to different drives for movie and music?

2. rozwell macrumors regular

i do this by simply dragging my movies from finder into iTunes but holding alt at the same time to get rid of the green plus symbol. it will leave the vids where they are.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes

Yes, make iTunes point to an iTunes music folder on another drive or use an alias.

4. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Go into iTunes preferences, hit the advanced tab, and turn off the setting: "Copy files to iTunes Music folder..."

Then when you add music or video to iTunes it stays in the location you had it and does not copy it to your iTunes directory.

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

This will even allow you to share your library over more than one physical drive (or partition).

6. Maynerd thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm...if I do this and make changes (example changing the file name) in iTunes I do not think that it makes changes to the file....maybe I'm wrong though...