I want my Mac to wireless play Apple DVD on my HDTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Jul 19, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

Basically, I want an Apple TV that is not limited to itunes. something that could run my tv as a second display, as though it were physically connected via DVI, would be perfect.

i remember when apple tv came, this device i was searching for said it would be out by june.... but i forget what the hell it was called

2. BigYellow macrumors member

I use an original Xbox with a modchip and new HD (320GB) as my media center. I have it wired into my home network, and I'm got Xbox Media Center running on there. It'll play DVD's (obviously) with the built in DVD drive, it can stream music from iTunes, and it can also stream videos from my PowerMac G5 via "XBMSX" (Xbox Media Server for OSX). It supports every media file I've ever come across, and with the proper AV cable, supports 1080p and 5.1 sound via component video and toslink audio connections.

The best part is, you can find a used Xbox in great shape in the $100 range, a modchip for $50 or less, and a large HD for under $100 (it just uses regular IDE/"parallel ATA" HD's)... And you can play games on it too lol.

I have a 360 too but its media compatibility list is pretty short.

Anyways, I find the modded Xbox to be a perfect media center for my 56" DLP, and I would recommend it over an AppleTV any day of the week.