I want to activate iPhone 5, but not render my sister current sim useless!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikebuzzsaw, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

So I'm on an ATT family plan. I preordered an iPhone 5 from Apple.com using my sisters upgrade with the intentions of selling it for profit. She lives out of state and happy with her iPhone 4, so I used her upgrade for the iPhone 5. Upon receiving the iphone, there is the activation screen asking for SSN and zip.

I DO have this information, but I don't want to put it in for fear of her CURRENT sim on her iPhone 4 will become deactivated. Then she would have no service and her phone line will become activated on the iPhone 5. Is there a way to ACTIVATE the iPhone 5, WITHOUT deactivating the sim my sister is using in her iPhone 4??

I tried popping in my own nano sim that is currently activated on my own iPhone 5, but I still get that activation screen. I was just hoping popping in my ATT sim would have bypass the activation.

2. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I didn't even turn my husbands upgrade phone on before I started a chat with AT&T. The lady I got found the imei and sim card number all on her own and switched lines for me. I turned it on and it activated perfectly on my line.

I would get ahold of AT&T right away, are you the account owner?

3. Squeak825 macrumors regular

Take it to an AT&T store or call them and they can do the swap before you activate it.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

This. Seriously... some (very obvious) things can only be fixed by an official rep. There's no need to come online and ask these types of questions when a quick call or a visit to your local store can sort it all out.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Call AT&T.
    Tell them you want to activate it with your sim instead of hers so hers doesnt get deactivate it.
    They will update it on their end.

6. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I called before 3 times and ever single time, they said they have to activate the sim card in the phone.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

ask to speak to a supervisor they can.. they just need to update what sim # is tied to what line.

8. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Congrats.
    That's what I did too.
    Upgrade swap using another lines subsidy.
    5 minutes later on the phone and was done:)

10. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup and then I just poped the new nano into my old iPhone 5 so I can sell this puppy :)