I want to be my own Netflix - streaming my home library online for web viewing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Sean Dempsey, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I want to be able to stream my home video files to my laptop on the road. I don't want to VPN, I'd like some sort of way to connect to my home URL, which had a dynamic DNS, and play the files over the internet.

Is there some sort of standard way to do this? I figure that VLC may have something?

I have 20mb upload speeds. How can I set this up? In a way that does smart streaming with compression, proper buffering, etc etc?

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Look into Plex. They have a server/client model that can do this out of the box. However, it would require using the Plex client on the watching device.

Pogoplug has devices that are meant for this too. And you can find them cheap nowadays. For ~$20 you can pick up one of their boxes which is a standalone device running a stripped down linux OS. You just set it up and then plug in any drive via usb and you can access it anywhere with no fees.

Now, if you want to go homegrown and build your own web interface and everything, I will have to defer to someone better than myself.

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Tonido http://www.tonido.com works very well. There's free and a paid solution. I've only tried the free one and it worked rather well.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

Plex will work in a web browser on your mac or iOS device (probably others but that's what i can test with).
    plex has it's on Dyn-DNS service too. sign into your account and it will pull up all your servers.

the app will give you a slightly nicer interface, the web page doesn't do too well on the iphone screen.
    and if you're going to be out of network range, on iOS (and i believe also android) with a paid upgrade, you get access to plexSync. that will let you sync programs to your device, you can set it up for "3 unwatched episodes of Friends" and it will automatically keep you updated (app has to be open to sync though, as iOS doesn't allow backgrounding)
    as you watch shows, it will automatically convert on your server, and sit there till your next sync.
    and at least on iOS it functions as a media server also, so you can sync files to your phone/pad, and then use the plex app on something connected to your TV (like computer or Roku) to watch the media.

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

6. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

Serve to Me

Companion app is Stream to Me.

It's far less complex than setting up Plex or anything else like that.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

8. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I should mention - I have a standalone Mac Pro 2006 that does nothing but host video for me right now, in my house. I want to break it open for hotel viewing.

These sound like good options. VLC Server also appear to be an option. Hmm. I presume it can just pull from my same iTunes library folder as my AppleTV does?

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Another vote for Plex. Streams beautifully to the iOS apps, the Mac app and the web client. Very little setup required. I've been streaming a 3TB+ library from my 1MB up home connection for several years now and have no complaints.

I don't recall if it is able to pull from your iTunes library though I suspect it's possible since iTunes by default organizes it's folders as Music, TV Shows, Movies, etc. You would simply tell Plex to use iTunes Library/Media/Movies for Movies, etc.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've been using AirVideo with my iOS devices for quite some time now and it has worked flawlessly.

* I can't compare AirVideo with any of the other suggested alternatives because I have never tried them.

11. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I used to use a service called Orb, but I am not sure if it is still around.

12. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Another vote for Serve to Me/Stream to Me combo.

I'm an airline pilot and spend 15+ nights a month away from home.

I can watch my iTunes library on my MBP, iPhone, iPad with this combo.

It will not stream DRM content.

13. tangfj macrumors member

I use Plex as well and couldn't be happier with it. I can access all my movies while on the road and it works really well as I can use it over airplay at friends' houses or I can use an HDMI cable and adapter and connect my iPad/iPhone directly to a TV.

My main use for Plex, though, is on my Samsung TV. Most Samsung TV's come pre-loaded with a Plex app which allows you to browse and play all your movies/etc.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iTunes in the Cloud is the best solution. Just buy the movies and TV shows you want to watch and then they are magically available to all your Apple devices with an internet connection. Nothing else comes close to this experience.

15. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

I believe he wants to view his home movies that he creates himself.

16. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

WD MyBook live does this via the WD2Go app. You can mount the HDD from the net, then point your iTunes to this folder or just airplay via the iOS app.

17. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Another vote for StremToMe / ServeToMe ( it can stream iTMS DRM'd files via Safari on iOS devices ).

18. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I'm all for Plex. It's got brilliant library management. If you title your files correctly, it'll automatically pull down all the appropriate metadata, cover art, and actor information into the library. It'll take nearly any video format and convert it live to whatever format your device requires.

I host around 2TB of video on my Mac Mini with Plex installed. I use Plex to shoot the video to my HTPC running the Plex app in Windows 8 (it's great because the whole app can be controlled from my Harmony remote) and I use the Plex app on my iPad and iPhone when I'm on the go and want access to my video.

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

I think you don't know what Dynamic DNS is. Plex does not have a Dynamic DNS service.

20. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

servetome and streamtome works dope. opened up the ports on the router and now everything works sweet.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

Just use plex.

Althought since upgrading to mavericks, Wake on LAN is broken, which means that I can't stream outside my network now, as I physically have to be in the house to wake my computer up.:rolleyes:

22. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

I spend considerable time trying to set something up similar to netflix.
    In the end I decided to unload all of my DVDs and Blu-Rays (currently in the process of doing so - anyone interested?) and just started using iTunes. Much more simple and not a time sink.

23. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Plex for me too :D

I have the Plex Media Server running on a FreeNAS box, which also contains all my media, and I'm also running Plexconnect so can access from my aTV through the Trailers app.

I've given about 6-7 friends and family access so they can view stuff whenever they want too.

24. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Good freaking-luck.

Discs seem impossible to sell nowadays.

25. MikeVarney macrumors member

The point is that it has a server registration process which makes the use of DynDNS not necessary.

Another vote for Plex here. I use it on my Roku boxes, AppleTV (hacked DNS), and my Android phone. When traveling, I access the myPlex website to still watch my content.

-- M