Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonygino20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
i have 60 bucks and i can't decide between these games. i have a white macbook, 2.16Ghz and 2GB and i dont plan on installing bootcamp or whatever..

Prey
Halo
Sims 2
Sims party pack
The Movies
Quake 4
Doom 3
XIII
Republic The Revolution

i know there are a lot of games, but i find all of those really interesting. any suggestions.

tonygino20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
would i need to buy a seperate usb controller for that?

any other suggestions?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'd buy Prey. It's relatively new, and was very well received. Assuming you like first person shooters (which your list indicates you do), I'd say that's as good as it's gonna get on the Mac.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I wasn't crazy about prey. Out of that list, I liked Doom 3 and Halo the best. You would not need to buy a new controller for Halo, I think it plays just as well with a keybaord/mouse, and I usually play on the XBOX.

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
NYC, Astoria-Queens
If you like Shooters I still recommend Unreal Tournament 2K4. Plus you can use the leftover money to buy more beer than Halo or Prey. Also you can download the Halo mods and models.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I thought UT2004 had a UB release a while ago? Anyway most of those games are going to have a hard time on a Macbook unless you keep the resolution/quality settings way down. XIII would run the best since it's fairly old and doesn't use heavy pixel shaders like the others. In any case you don't want a USB controller for FPS games, only platform-type games or driving games (which are better with a wheel of course).

--Eric

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I dont get why people like Sims so much... I guess the only reason why I played it was so that I can torture the people. I usually like to make a small room they enter and then close them off. Leave them there and watch them die. Its pretty funny to see them soil themselves. But then after that Im pretty much at a lost on what to do, other then to build their house and make me feel terrible because the house I just built isnt as good as the one i live in :'(

Mac.Jnr

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
PREY FTW! an awesome game (even though I only played it at an internet cafe). or if you can wait, quake wars:enemy territory or Unreal Tounament 3

Will the Macbook be able to run those games? :confused: (offtopic) > GO THE AUSSIES! :)

I'd say get Quake 4, if you like FPS. Really fun especially online! Just beware it might get choppy here and there. (That's on the lowest settigns.)

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Will the Macbook be able to run those games? :confused: (offtopic) > GO THE AUSSIES! :)

I'd say get Quake 4, if you like FPS. Really fun especially online! Just beware it might get choppy here and there. (That's on the lowest settigns.)

if quake 4 runs, prey will (uses the same engine). Not sure about QW:ET seeing as it has what's called megatextures which are like randomly generated (down to every blade of grass) textures for the map (never get the same map twice!) and they seem to be absolutely massive so that will probably slow it down considerably

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
if quake 4 runs, prey will (uses the same engine). Not sure about QW:ET seeing as it has what's called megatextures which are like randomly generated (down to every blade of grass) textures for the map (never get the same map twice!) and they seem to be absolutely massive so that will probably slow it down considerably

Just to be nitpicky, megatextures aren't randomly generated, they all have to be artist-created so you definitely get the same maps twice. The point of them is to be really huge (32K x 32K pixels) and yet have little performance penalty because parts of them are dynamically loaded as needed. The game still probably won't run that great on a GMA 950 because of having lots of polygons and pixel shaders though.

--Eric

charmin

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
XIII isn't Universal, but it runs almost flawlessly at 1920 x 1200 on my iMac. It *should* run pretty well on a MacBook too.

If/When a Universal patch is released for it, it should run absolutely perfectly on the MB, unless there's some intrinsic problem with the GMA.

Edit: I have a few of the other games you mentioned, now I think about it. I don't have a MacBook to test them on though.

Halo - Might be OK, runs on my 867MHz PowerBook
The Movies - Back of the box specifically says "Does not support computers with integrated graphics" or some such
Quake 4 - I don't envisage this running well
Republic The Revolution - Absolutely awful on Intel Macs. I tried it on a Mac Pro, still not playable.

djstarrock

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
UK, Scotland, Glasgow
Halo will great on all high settings most of the time on the MacBook if you go online its only reason you should buy because campaign not that good. If you want to run campaign you would have to put the settings down but thats with the PPC version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.