Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRONG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Principality of Sealand
Hello everyone, I'm WRONG.
"Hi WRONG!"
Someone maybe already knows me from the magical thread Waiting for Skylake MBP.
Anyway.
After a suffered and long journey I finally decided to leave my 2009 MBP and go with the new Skylake MBP, but the problems is showing with AMD graphic issues and not-so-long-lasting battery are making me uncomfortable about buying it.
Of course is going to be an huge upgrade for me, but we're still talking about 2900€, and I honestly don't want to take the risk of finding a lemon or a drunk display.
Suggestions?
Reassurance?
A glass of whiskey (lake)?

Thanks in advance

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Hi Wrong

If you can wait a month or two and see if there seems to be less people posting about issues and Apple works out the 'kinks'...you may want to if your uncomfortable with what you are reading.

My 15" 2016 is working great and have been getting good battery life. Have had it for about 3 weeks now. But that doesn't mean some have not had some issues. It seems there is a mixed bag at this point.

Which version are you thinking about getting?

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
It's a good laptop yes it's not perfect and it does have issues but I believe it's worth it. As an owner of it I can say battery life could be better but it's not bad. If you get graphics issues you can just exchange it for another unit that won't have the same problem.

I agree with Queen6, if you need one now I would just get it. If you don't mind waiting then the gen 2 may be a better option for you, or you can just go for the 2015 model.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
It's a good laptop yes it's not perfect and it does have issues but I believe it's worth it. As an owner of it I can say battery life could be better but it's not bad. If you get graphics issues you can just exchange it for another unit that won't have the same problem.

I agree with Queen6, if you need one now I would just get it. If you don't mind waiting then the gen 2 may be a better option for you, or you can just go for the 2015 model.

Battery life is one of the larger concerns, with details emerging that the current 2016 MBP battery was not the original plan, which may explain some users issues. From the initial tear-downs it was clear that Apple`s decision on the batteries was not as expected with the batteries being physically small than one would expect.

Highly likely Apple will overcome the technical issues, with the Gen 2 offering significantly more capacity & runtime, both being plausible & logical given Apple`s excellent previous record with portables on battery.

Q-6

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Battery life is one of the larger concerns, with details emerging that the current 2016 MBP battery was not the original plan, which may explain some users issues. From the initial tear-downs it was clear that Apple`s decision on the batteries was not as expected with the batteries being physically small than one would expect.

Highly likely Apple will overcome the technical issues, with the Gen 2 offering significantly more capacity & runtime, both being plausible & logical given Apple`s excellent previous record with portables on battery.

Q-6

What details are you referring to?

^_^

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I'm in the same boat. I have been following the battery issue development in this thread, as well as made numerous posts there, as well as in this thread, because I couldn't decide whether I wanted a 13" or a 15", and the battery life situation had a big impact on it.

Now I think I've settled on the 15",again. (at first I thought I was sure and then changed my mind, as you can deduce from my posts, even though I explicitly said so, too, lol), because it is still quite portable, and the extra weight is not too noticeable, BUT - it brings me back to the battery life.

As I mentioned in my posts, I needed that MBP ASAP, as in - 2 months ago, but I still didn't want to rush into a decision for a device that I'll be using for the next few years. I've decided to wait for an official statement by Apple, some sort of reassurance that it'll get fixed or something, but as of now there's still nothing. Besides some posts by members saying that Apple support have helped them confirm the fact that it's not a hardware issue but a software one (last pages of that big thread).

I thought of just buying it and then wait for the update, but I don't know. Still concerned about it that so I'd rather just wait and decide which one I'll be picking up later. I just wish they would take care of it sooner rather than later. It seems like everyone's been talking about it and making articles about it. I don't think Apple will be able to ignore it for that long, but then again - not really familiar with them, so I can't tell for sure. One could only hope.

Reactions: WRONG

Queen6

macrumors G4
What details are you referring to?

Here`s one, was more here on MR, seems plausible, given the physical size of the batteries. There`s no technical reason for the batteries to have such a signifiant gap, nor is the reduced runtimes very like Apple, as previously they have always under promised & over delivered in this area.

This one being more credible Mark Gurman

"Making a laptop stand out is also harder these days. But when Apple has tried to leapfrog the competition, it has fallen short. Take the company's attempt to create a longer-lasting battery for the MacBook Pro. Apple engineers wanted to use higher capacity battery packs shaped to the insides of the laptop versus the standard square cells found in most machines. The design would have boosted battery life.

In the run-up to the MacBook Pro's planned debut this year, the new battery failed a key test, according to a person familiar with the situation. Rather than delay the launch and risk missing the crucial holiday shopping season, Apple decided to revert to an older design."

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: WRONG and skids929

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Here`s one, was more here on MR, seems plausible, given the physical size of the batteries. There`s no technical reason for the batteries to have such a signifiant gap, nor is the reduced runtimes very like Apple, as previously they have always under promised & over delivered in this area.

This one being more credible Mark Gurman

"Making a laptop stand out is also harder these days. But when Apple has tried to leapfrog the competition, it has fallen short. Take the company's attempt to create a longer-lasting battery for the MacBook Pro. Apple engineers wanted to use higher capacity battery packs shaped to the insides of the laptop versus the standard square cells found in most machines. The design would have boosted battery life.

In the run-up to the MacBook Pro's planned debut this year, the new battery failed a key test, according to a person familiar with the situation. Rather than delay the launch and risk missing the crucial holiday shopping season, Apple decided to revert to an older design."

Q-6

Good article and I believe alot of that to be very true. It's a shame with all those resources they can't maintain a more complete computing team. With that said, I do think the battery is the only real issue with this current release. I love the form factor and all the other updates (trackpad, ports, display, chassis) and of course goes without saying Mac OS is the almighty.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really want to like the new MBPs, and I can see myself buying a laptop next year to fit a need that I have with my family. I use a Surface Book and I have no complaints but I still want/like the MBPs. Perhaps its gen 1 teething pains, or bleeding edge of new technology, either way, the negative news that seems to be coming out weekly on these machines scares me. I understand that much of the recent bad news should be addressed by software fixes, i.e., poor battery and palm rejection issues.

Yet, I see a fundamental shift in Apple, these past few years that makes me wonder if spending 2,000+ for a 15" laptop makes sense. My 2012 rMBP is going strong, but is showing its age. For around 2k I've gotten 4+ years out of it, and I'm going on year 5. I think that's a great value for my investment. Could I get the same longevity out of the current model?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Good article and I believe alot of that to be very true. It's a shame with all those resources they can't maintain a more complete computing team. With that said, I do think the battery is the only real issue with this current release. I love the form factor and all the other updates (trackpad, ports, display, chassis) and of course goes without saying Mac OS is the almighty.

He puts it very well, and in the face of Apple`s financials common sense. By no means the end of the Mac, equally not the priority many of us would once have hoped for. Apple`s direction is very clear and a shame it does not work for all...

Q-6

Reactions: skids929

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I really want to like the new MBPs, and I can see myself buying a laptop next year to fit a need that I have with my family. I use a Surface Book and I have no complaints but I still want/like the MBPs. Perhaps its gen 1 teething pains, or bleeding edge of new technology, either way, the negative news that seems to be coming out weekly on these machines scares me. I understand that much of the recent bad news should be addressed by software fixes, i.e., poor battery and palm rejection issues.

Yet, I see a fundamental shift in Apple, these past few years that makes me wonder if spending 2,000+ for a 15" laptop makes sense. My 2012 rMBP is going strong, but is showing its age. For around 2k I've gotten 4+ years out of it, and I'm going on year 5. I think that's a great value for my investment. Could I get the same longevity out of the current model?

Absolutely you could. Like I said the only real issue with the new release is the battery. If you can find a way to link up with power once in a while it works just fine. I see myself getting 7-10 out of this machine. Got 11 out of my last one and it still work for internet surfing.
[doublepost=1482583369][/doublepost]
He puts it very well, and in the face of Apple`s financials common sense. By no means the end of the Mac, equally not the priority many of us would once have hoped for. Apple`s direction is very clear and a shame it does not work for all...

Q-6

It is a shame, especially since I just can't get myself to like iPads and I don't see that changing.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It is a shame, especially since I just can't get myself to like iPads and I don't see that changing.

Definitely not a fan of the iPad etc. realisation is very clear; Apple will not produce a MBP that will meet my requirements, with Microsoft`s Surface Book now meeting my 13" class need. The 15" class is debatable, however not the 2016 as I believe the battery design is compromised as postulated in Mark Gurman`s article, nor am I a fan of the short throw keyboard. After a year and a half with a Retina MacBook I doubt that will change. Such a keyboard is not what I want in this class of notebook.

I do rather fear that I may well have purchased my last Mac; between the direction the OS and hardware is heading they are simply becoming less practical with each iteration.

Q-6

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Of course is going to be an huge upgrade for me, but we're still talking about 2900€, and I honestly don't want to take the risk of finding a lemon or a drunk display.
Suggestions?
Reassurance?
A glass of whiskey (lake)?

Thanks in advance

Just.... ignore the silly narrative that half the internet is creating to get attention. No product is perfect, and I don't know if the new MBPs will be great or bad for you - but if you like your old Mac and are willing to spend 2900 euros - do not worry. It will be a huge leap in every way, and it's still the good old Mac you love. GPU issues are all but sorted out (some people have them in specific cases, but that is standard rate od any dGPU today, if not better) and the battery issue has, of course, been blown out of proportion.

If you like Windows or Dell or Microsoft - then consider these also. If you're a Mac guy, no need to fear.
[doublepost=1482587068][/doublepost]
But it is a Gen 1; New keyboard, new ports, new display, new trackpad, new form factor.

Keyboard is generation 2, improved design (and you can really tell), ports are not exactly some wild invention, Apple has been using wide-color displays for a while, and Force Touch trackpads have been around for a while. At the same time you have well tested Skylake CPUs and most of the hardware is just an iteration. Only the GPUs are what you might call "first gen", but then again, so was the M370X in the previous generation, and the Touch Bar.

People seem to think that experience and tools don't carry over when you change the design. It's not a 1st Gen. The only 1st Gen product in Apple's recent history was the fanless MacBook and Apple Watch. Everything else is built on mature products, with lots of experience.

For example, no one called iPad 2 a "1st Gen" product, although it came in a dramatic new design, and with a dual-core CPU vs single core. Almost everything was new. A MacBook Pro 2016 has a slightly new design and new hardware, but it's faaaaar from a 1st gen product.

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Yup. it is, but its brand new in a new chassis
My point is this is a gen 1 product because its a brand new unused design by apple

As I said, then the iPad 2 was also 1st gen, also iPhones 4, 5, 6 and 7.

It depends how you define "gen 1", really. But since that term, for most people, indicates something "experimental", "untested" (and Queen6 used the term in this negative way) - it does not apply here.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Queen6

macrumors G4
New MBP is as much Gen 1 product as iPhone 7 is. Stop spreading FUD.

Wrong as you frequently are; issues are apparent to anyone with an open mind. Apple has a long history of Gen 1 products having issue, with the MBP being far from immune. I suggest you stop with your FUD and continue your personal love affair with the MBP in private.

Seems to me that your so insecure about your own purchasing decision, you constantly seek reassurance of others. As stated previously you are coming across as an individual who is simply far too invested with what is little more than a manufacturer of mass consumer items, nor does the same manufacturer get it right first time around.

There is adequate concern documented on this forum alone, or are all the other members simply spreading FUD, creating click bait, or just out to get you...

Q-6

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think it somewhat depends what you have now. If you have a rMBP you could probably just sit tight and see how it shakes out since the delta is not that big. And waiting until the first update after a major revision is never a bad thing.

Reactions: Queen6

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Wrong as you frequently are; issues are apparent to anyone with an open mind. Apple has a long history of Gen 1 products having issue, with the MBP being far from immune. I suggest you stop with your FUD and continue your personal love affair with the MBP in private.

Seems to me that your so insecure about your own purchasing decision, you constantly seek reassurance of others. As stated previously you are coming access as an individual who is simply far too invested with what is little more than a manufacturer of mass consumer items, nor does the same manufacturer get it right first time around.

There is adequate concern documented on this forum alone, or are all the other members simply spreading FUD, creating click bait, or just out to get you...

Q-6

No insecurity, I just have a low tolerance of biased negativity on a forum that should offer objective advice. You guys are so bent on proving that Apple has lost its way, that you'll go from something as silly as actually criticizing TB3 ports (honestly, this still makes me laugh) and when that failed, switching to that false "It should be Kaby Lake" argument all the way to the battery issues. Battery life is not as good as I expected it, true, but it is far from the way some people here present it to be.

To me, it seems the oposite. You switched to a Surface and are trying to justify that - even to go as far to suggesting it to people who are clearly looking for quad-core CPUs. You have switched from Apple to Windows, which would normally be fine, but it seems to be bothering you. The switch will be that easier if you convince yourself that Apple is crap now, and the best way to do that - is to convince others.

My position have always been - from day one - it's a great laptop, some people will appreciate what it has to offer, other people should go for cheaper alternatives. And there are people who need more hardware, so they don't really have a choice.

Your position is: Apple blew it, it's really bad, Apple made a mistake, etc.

Who is insecure here? The person clearly saying that it's not a computer for everyone, or someone trying to convice everyone else that it's bad.

So, I'll just repeat what I said. People come here for objective advice. Some could really benefit from MacBook Pros. Some would be better off with a Windows laptop or a previous gen Mac. Stop spreading FUD. Really. That Surface is not THAT bad so you have to do it, is it?

Queen6

macrumors G4
No insecurity, I just have a low tolerance of biased negativity on a forum that should offer objective advice. You guys are so bent on proving that Apple has lost its way, that you'll go from something as silly as actually criticizing TB3 ports (honestly, this still makes me laugh) and when that failed, switching to that false "It should be Kaby Lake" argument all the way to the battery issues. Battery life is not as good as I expected it, true, but it is far from the way some people here present it to be.

To me, it seems the oposite. You switched to a Surface and are trying to justify that - even to go as far to suggesting it to people who are clearly looking for quad-core CPUs. You have switched from Apple to Windows, which would normally be fine, but it seems to be bothering you. The switch will be that easier if you convince yourself that Apple is crap now, and the best way to do that - is to convince others.

My position have always been - from day one - it's a great laptop, some people will appreciate what it has to offer, other people should go for cheaper alternatives. And there are people who need more hardware, so they don't really have a choice.

Your position is: Apple blew it, it's really bad, Apple made a mistake, etc.

Who is insecure here? The person clearly saying that it's not a computer for everyone, or someone trying to convice everyone else that it's bad.

So, I'll just repeat what I said. People come here for objective advice. Some could really benefit from MacBook Pros. Some would be better off with a Windows laptop or a previous gen Mac. Stop spreading FUD. Really. That Surface is not THAT bad so you have to do it, is it?

What amuses me is that I have nothing to prove. Your the guy interjecting into everyone and anyone`s posts to defend your precious MBP. Do us all a favour and stop taking it so seriously, your just embarrassing yourself..

Q-6

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.