I want to buy a pound bag of M&M's! Why are they hard to find?

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
The fact that M&Ms come in pound bags is appalling.
Not so much. My mother buys two or three of the holiday-themed pound bags around this time of year and puts them out a bit at a time for parties and whatnot.

I don't think they're designed to be consumed by one person in one sitting the way the smaller grocery store checkout aisle size is.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Where are you located? If you live in the US, any of the whole sale retailers will carry those sizes. Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's, WalMart, and maybe even Target will carry it.

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
Hell, even most grocery chains should have them. I'm pretty sure Stater Bros. (local to me) has those.

As for those "holiday" bags (e.g. black and orange for Halloween, orange-yellow-brown for Thanksgiving, red & green for Christmas), definitely Wal-Mart.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I live in the middle of a city, so no Targets/Walmarts within quick access, and I don't have any memberships to any wholesale stores (and they'd be closed by now anyway).

So I just went to Walgreens and got their biggest bag of M&M's which ain't big at all (11 oz), for $3.99. What a rip off.

Oh well, not like my cravings show up often anyway.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I just got back from costco. I bought two 52oz. bags of mms for a little over $6 per bag with a coupon. I'm eating gooood tonight.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My wife's name and mine both start with M. We had M&M's at our wedding as a part of the reception decorations and party favors.

It's amazing how addicting those little chocolates are when they get put around the house in bowls. I think it's the simple access due to not having to unwrap them. It's just too easy to grab a handful and go. :D

srbz

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2004
1 Pound Bags Don't Exist

Like other manufacturers have done, 1 lb M&Ms have gradually shrunk to 12.4 ounces.
6 ounce tuna cans are now 5 oz; 18 ounce Skippy peanut butter is now 16 ounces; 16 ounce Fritos has slowly dwindled to 9 ounces.
They charge us the same for less.
Eventually, it will shrink so low that they will introduce a NEW! Larger Size! 16 ounce bag for more money.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
B-b-but I want it NOW! :eek:
How much do you weigh? No, seriously. If you have such a serious craving for an entire pound of candy at almost midnight, you may have an eating disorder. Consider some baby carrots or some broccoli for a late night snack instead.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Err...why?

Whenever my mom throws a big party, she buys the big 56oz bag from Sams and puts them out in bowls on the tables and whatnot. 20-30 people sharing a 56oz bag of M&Ms isn't a lot per person
You know theres people out there who consume the whole bag. Probably surfing Mac Rumors and eating m&ms by the handful while chocolate is running down their mouths and all over their shirts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.