I want to buy an iPhone 5s and I want to hear some opinions about it.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by FatPuppy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I need an iphone that runs well and smooth on ios 8 and I want to make it work with the ipad. I only have money for the 5s. Is it bad ios 8? Now I have a 4s on 7.1.2 and it's not at its best right now.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a 5s on iOS 8 and it runs perfectly smooth.

3. Italianblend, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Calling it perfectly smooth is probably a stretch and a fanboyism.

However, I have a 5S on the latest update, and there are no major concerns. There are weird buggy things especially when switching from landscape to portrait. Sometimes the keyboard looks odd, sometimes it activates the microphone button without pushing anything, etc. Minor stuff. Nothing that would prevent me from buying a phone.

Overall, I did feel as if 7 was a bit smoother. I will most likely not be upgrading this to 9 next year.

Oh and BTW, battery has been pretty bad lately. I've texted for maybe 20 minutes today and it's below 50%

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's been my experience and there is no need to call it into question like that.

Obviously, YMMV.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

No it's perfectly smooth whether you want to believe its famboyism or not.

The biggest issue is I have to shake the phone when it comes out of sleep to turn the screen back to portrait. In addition battery life is on par with 7.1.2.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

I concur. The 5S is entirely satisfactory on iOS 8.1.1.

----------

I'm not a "fanboy" and find it perfectly smooth.
    No issues with battery life in 8 for me, either.

7. Dan70 macrumors regular

I've had my 5s for about a year now. Whilst the battery has seen better days, the actual phone itself runs very well so saying that it's "fanboyism" is completely false. It's a personal opinion and experience.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

My vanilla 5 is also perfectly satisfactory.

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

The 5S doesn't run iOS 8 perfectly (More jerks and lag then iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 for example) but thats iOS 8 in general, it jerks and lags on the iPhone 6. So all in all you should be fine!

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 5 is fine so no reason the 5S shouldnt be!

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

My daughter loves her 5 and is the type to scrutinize products too. So, yeah, go for it. Very nice phone.

12. newellj macrumors 601

Mine ran great on 8.0. 8.1.x should be even better.

13. seble macrumors 6502a

I'll summarize my experience of iphone 5S ON iOS 8.1.1

Pros:
    - a tad buggy but the phone is still really fast, and people exaggerate over how buggy it is
    - quick phone
    - Very Light and compact, one hand use is great
    - Touch ID has a 98% success rate
    - good built in speaker / loudspeaker

Cons:
    - battery life SUCKS (for me anyways) it spends about half the time plugged in (but I do live in a crappy signal area so that doesn't help)
    - ios 8 is buggy on it
    - camera takes a while to take pictures with flash because it has to calibrate the 'truetone flash'

That's mosrly the negatives I have with the phone. Otherwise it works pretty great for me.

14. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I have absolutely no issues at all with my 5S on iOS 8.

I don't have any issues with the battery or lag or anything at all. It runs pretty smooth..

So I guess I am a fanboy, and would highly recommend you to go for the 5S..

Good luck...

15. orioncrystalice macrumors 6502

orioncrystalice

It works great for mine, my beef lately has been that my camera seems to be behaving poorly....like I can't get a killer, sharp shot in anything except 2,142,532,525,252 sunlight. It seems to treat indoor light like low light in a lot of ways and I feel like it didn't used to do this. Outside of this, yes, love my 5S.

16. x34 macrumors 6502

actually, it works just like on iphone 6.

17. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

My 5s works great on 8.1.

And the reason I'm a fanboy and proud of it is because my Apple products run great and I'm a fan of great running products.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Why?
    Wife's 5S (64GB AT&T) is on 8.1.1
    Runs okay but there are some bugs - you can see most in this forum. Her biggest complaint is the occasional issue with iMessage freezing (fine with iMessage off) and that indoor pictures are not as good as they were under 7 (compression algorithm issue).
    Other than that, it is fine.

Personally, if you are doing the 5S, I'd shoot for the 6.

19. vexorg macrumors 6502a

No problems with the 5s at all in term of IOS8. I have found the edges of the screen are not as easy to use as the 4s.

20. Tech198, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

Tech198 macrumors G4

Great, Great, & Great ....

Touch ID is a good reason to get a 5S.

However i can't say the same for iOS 8... May want to think about a iOS 8 first before u go for a 5s.. unless u can fine one that is still running 7.1.2.

"Its it ain't broke, why fix it" not just because Apple tells u too.

I never need to hand off or any iOS 8 type features, i just upgraded because of third party extensions in Safari, part apart from that, for me, i have all this extra stuff i don't even use..

No one installs apps they never ever use right ? so why should it be the same for OS's ?

Stay with 7.1.2 .... I wish i did..

21. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

So, obviously, you're getting responses on both sides of the fence.

This could all be solved by apple allowing us to choose which ios we want to have for our devices. But they force you to keep your latest version, and that is a device killer (and a money maker for them, of course, because you have to run out and buy a more advanced model when your current one worked fine 5 minutes ago).

22. Tech198 macrumors G4

True, Apple doesn't force u to upgrade, but they may as well do, because your nagged to death by popups if you don't upgrade.. regardless of weather u'r plugging in or not.

I can't say the number of times running iOS 7.1.2 i good cheesed off with constantly dismissing "iOS 8.1.x is available ..." popup on home screen. In the end, I finally said "What the hell ... u win Apple"

23. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

OR if you really hate Apple's way, you could go and buy another phone... right? No point bleating and moaning on here, vote with your wallet and you may get a change...

Why do you think Microsoft has changed its way and trying to upgrade their software and add features to their OS? People were peeved off, with years of junk Microsoft used to ship, and with no viable choice available, we used to buy cheap plastic laptops running poor Microsoft softwares. Now there is a genuine choice available with OSX, and it has made Microsoft change its way... This good for competition and ultimately for consumers.

Same with iOS.. Prior to iPhone, the phones which hardly added any new features for consumers, were being churned out like crazy.. iOS and iPhone has changed that and I welcome it.

When you buy Apple products you know full well you are buying into their eco system as well. No point whining about it after....

At work I can moan all I like how the competitor gives better choices to their personnel... My company will only change their policy, if it benefits them & their customers, else I am free to find job elsewhere...

24. Imory macrumors 6502a

That's not true though. The only sign I have of an update is the one red notification on the settings icon. The key is to just delete the automatic download that iOS does if you usually update OTA. It has luckily never bothered me with any messages or notifications at all.

25. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I went from a 4S to a 5S a year ago. The 5S is noticeably better, I didn't think I'd want the extra screen space but now I appreciate it. TouchID is amazing.

The iPhone 5S doesn't have any particular issues with iOS 8, iOS 8 is just not the best that it can be. The "instant hotspot" feature is a bit hit or miss with my 5S and my iPads, but the SMS text forwarding feature has been fantastic. Battery life is fine.

Let's put it this way: the 5S is going to perform far better than your 4S. Maybe this October the iPhone 6S will introduce something that makes the 5S appear outdated, but otherwise the chipset is still very fast and the interplay with other iOS devices is as strong as the iPhone 6. The only thing we're missing is Apple Pay.