Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcook349

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Over the last year I've been converting over to the "dark side". I now have a MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPod, and Time Capsule.

For TV I have DirecTV but it seems they're on demand offerings stink (unless I'm missing something). I'd like to buy Apple TV but (if I understand correctly), it's $320 (160GB) and then movies cost around $5 to rent, $20 to buy. Hmm.

With Netflix, it's $99 for the device and then $18/mo subscription. I think I can watch as many movies and TV shows as I want for the ongoing monthly fee.

If I'm right on this, 3 rentals on Apple TV would match the Netflix cost. Then subsequent rentals would keep costing.

I want to be an Apple guy but it looks like it's not a very good option?

Any info/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
With Netflix, it's $99 for the device and then $18/mo subscription. I think I can watch as many movies and TV shows as I want for the ongoing monthly fee.
Netflix on demand video is unlimited with any of their unlimited plans. The cheapest starts at $8.99/mo. Mind you that also comes with unlimited DVD rentals (1-at-a-time for that price). You can browse the on demand library on their website and see if there's stuff there you'd like. They have a few things in HD and it's very high quality, but it's not going to be like getting HD movies from Apple. All the "good" content is usually only available through DVD/Bluray rentals. But since you get both with the plan, I think it's worth it.

I had Netflix for a long time before I used their on demand service, so that was just like a very happy bonus feature of my plan (I watch it on my Xbox, very nice).

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
if you happen to have an Xbox 360, you don't need to buy the device.

Also, IMO their on demand selection SUCKS compared to the DVD selection.

If you don't mind being a rebel try torrents and Boxee w/ Apple TV.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
I have both an ATV and the Roku Netflix box (besides 2 PCH boxes).

It's true, the selection is pretty sucky on Netflix, at least right now. Supposedly they're working on deals with premium cable networks to get their tv series or something.

They do have movies, some newish, but not many are in HD and all the ones from Starz have the worst picture quality.

The only reason I got one is that I dig watching old tv shows before I pass out at night and they have tons of those. If you have a minimum of a 3 at a time Netflix plan, there's no additional charge.

Get the Roku if you're into Kojak and Columbo, but wave off if you want a good selection of stuff from this century.

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.