I want to buy my first mac... but is it going to answer all my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tty007, Nov 8, 2007.

1. tty007 macrumors newbie

I want to buy my first mac... but is it going to answer all my needs?

I am so stuck in my decision... Should I buy the macbook or the macbook pro?

Why am I purchasing a MAC? Sick and tired of my PC crashing all the time when I am trying to work with my NEF files (RAW file of Nikon)

I am most of the time using photoshop CS2 and will purchase CS3 for MAC.
    I play a few games but not that much anymore don't have enough time so might just get an PS3...

So will I have issues with a Macbook 2.2 with 2 GIG of RAMs working in photoshop with 300megs files and over? I want the MACBOOK for 2 reason, first: Cheaper 1000$ canadian less the the pro, Second: I like the white one, I like the size, can fit in my backpack so easily and its weight, very light... extremely portable and easy to use in buses... but I just don't want to regret it if it's not powerful enough to do lots of photo editing...

Thank you so much for your help!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get the MBP; simply a better machine. Takes more RAM for your Photoshopping, get more than 2gb... and Photoshop CS3 does have some additional acceleration depending on your graphics card. Matte screen too.

Get the absolute best Mac you can afford, they tend to last longer that way. My thoughts, anyway.

Now that you've edited your post to reflect portability concerns, if that's crucial then get the MB.

3. emac82 macrumors 6502

If you get enough ram for the MacBook, I think you will find that photoshop will work fine.

You will be happy either way, but if you get a MacBook you will be able to save a bunch of money which you can put towards something else..

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon the MacBooks are powerful enough for you. Fill a 2.2GHz model with 4GB of RAM and it'll fly. If you need a bigger panel, you can put the saved money into a 20" external display. I don't think the graphics card will be an issue.

BV; the macbooks take 4 gigs of RAM now ;)

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cheers... I stop looking at Mac specs when I'm not interested in buying, funnily enough for a site like this. :eek: :D

OK then, in that case, get the MB. If you like glossy displays. ;)

6. tty007 thread starter macrumors newbie

More information...

Wow, I just called the Apple Store near my house, (LAVAL APPLE STORE) and they just told me that the new macbook has 144megs of RAM of video... is that true? he probably wanted to say that it can share up to 144 megs of RAM with the built-in 64 megs of RAM ?

Tks to all for your comments :) I think I'll go for the macbook but still questioning my choice.. The only reason why I'm not buying the pro is the money as I want to buy a Nikon D300 at the same time hehehe. It's my Xmax gift!!! :)

7. Jdot macrumors member

A regular macbook will work fine for you. I use my current powerbook with cs 3 and my Nikon D80. It is plenty fast enough as is until i upgrade next year, so the macbook with intel core 2 and 4 gigs of ram will absolutely fly through whatever you throw at it no problem.