I want to donate my 15" 2.53 to charity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capriseyhaze, Jun 7, 2009.

1. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

I have too many mbp's and i want to donate one to somebody who really needs it. I dont use it anymore its just sitting in the box and i dont want to sell it, i would just rather give it away. Is there any organization that excepts computers or websites or something i could look at. Thanks to anyone that helps me with this.

2. fatcat23 macrumors member

I don't think you could find anything on the net, try looking locally, ex. local church, schools, community centre.

Better idea which is what I would do, sell it on ebay and donate the money to united way or similar.

3. AquaGreenbean macrumors newbie

Call you local CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) program and donate it to one of the CASA kids. They are children who have been abused/neglected and have been removed from their homes. Many are in foster care or the "system" from childhood to age 18 and are moved from placement to placement, sometimes up to 5-10 in a year! As they start high school or college, most don't have the financial, or family, support to afford their own computer.

And if you have some extra free time, sign up to be a volunteer while you are there :)

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I would find a local boys club and donate it to them. Most likely they would really use it for their computer room. I can almost picture the boys club having aging old PC's or even old Macs that still run OS 9. I can easily see them getting good use out of the Macbook Pro. :)

5. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i like that one right there. im going to call them tomorrow and see whats up. thanks for the responses people.

6. snouter macrumors 6502a

I think it would be underutilized if given away.

Sell it, donate the cash.

7. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Sell it on eBay, once the money clears write a check to your local charity. Giving a computer away like that will most likely end up being sold on eBay by the head of the organization and most likely be pocketed by him. At least when you write a check on the name of the charity, you know they will have to deposit in their account in order to cash the check.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

I tend to agree that selling it and donating the sale price is the best option. I can't imagine that most places would have a need for such a powerful notebook. If they needed a computer, I'm sure the resulting funds would be more than sufficient. Then some of the remaining money could be directed to other needs.

9. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I'm adding another vote to selling it and donating the cash. You could even sell it on ebay as a charity auction.

I don't know but I'm guessing that you may get more for it if buyers know that the money is going to a nonprofit.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/selling-nonprofit.html

10. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

I'm with ltldrummerboy. Even if you don't get more money for it you'll probably get a few more views.

11. jnob macrumors newbie

I can help

I work for a charity, Hillside Community Church, and we have and do accept donations of computers. We would put it to good use in helping kids and teenagers. I oversee the I.T. department as well as the Children's department at the church.

You can find out more about us on our website: www.yourhillside.com

Please let me know if you are interested in donating the computer to our church. Thanks for your generosity either way.:D

12. daveedtoney macrumors newbie

I'll Take It!

I work for a local church in San Diego, www.greenvalleychurch.com
    We are very much in need of a laptop, but because of the recent economy struggles, it hasn't become a reality.

It would get great use.

Let me know if that would be a possibility, thanks.

13. -wiseguy- macrumors newbie

-wiseguy-

That's very generous of you, but I'm gonna stick with the majority and say sell it and then donate the cash.

But it's really up to you! ;)

14. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Good for you... That is truly a great thing to do. I have so much tech just sitting in a closet. I think that is my new task for this weekend. Most of it is junk that I can't/wouldn't sell, but I can give it away.

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i had that issue once, i donate laptops yearly to non profit organizations and i found out one was selling them off, so i simply serialize the notebooks now and with a card letting them know the laptop is still the property of my company, but it is there to use until it is no longer useable in which it becomes my companies property once again.

simple and lets non profit organizations have unit's

16. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Most small charities I know would use it as an office computer for the next 10 years. It wouldn't go under-utilized.

17. jrr316 macrumors newbie

School

Check out private/montesorri schools. Alot of these charter schools are way behind on tech. i could get you in touch with a few

18. casburyii macrumors newbie

Nicu

capriseyhaze I'd like to know if you still have the mbp, so it would be great if you could donate it to an organization i'm on. It will be use by many different parents in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). As a past parent of the NICU i know how great it was being able to lookup information about issues going on with my child. I'm lucky to have my own, but most parents are not and this would be placed in the family room. If you will donate it to the NICU I can get you a tax deduction letter for the donation.

19. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

A great idea for you

Take it to your local High School Computer Science class. Consult with the instructor and have the kids do some sort of competition like a science fair or a video editing competition. Say that you'll give the computer to whoever winds the fair.

Or if you want to impact the community, make the competition high school wide and give the computer to whichever kid shows the largest impact in the community.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont donate it! Charity these days are pretty corrupt, it just goes all to the central bankers hands. Keep it or sell it and pocket the money. Tough, I MEAN TOUGH economic situation were going to be in by this november. I'm talking about argentina level.

Food and ammo is what you need now.

21. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I sure hope I don't accidently knock on your door... :eek: I recommend a small plot of land up near the Canadian border in Idaho. Gotta stay safe from the marauding hordes. :)

22. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have 75 acre's of land im selling off in new brinswick :p

23. matt82 macrumors newbie

I used to volunteer for a cool nonprofit in DC called UPEACE/US that does some really innovative things with at-risk kids and smartphones and computers. They mainly focus on violence prevention, global awareness but use all kinds of technology in the classroom.

I know they are always looking for computer and iPhone donations for their DCPEACE program.

http://www.upeaceus.org/giving/donate-your-iphone.html

24. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Sorry but you are looking at this wrong. Non-profits will sell items they can't use but they still accept them. The items they sell they put the money towards other items that help the kids. I work for a non-profit also and many of the AFB's around town donate stuff all the time to us, and we sell the stuff off as most of the time it really is too old for us to utilize. We put the money towards the kids, or possibly at least a few new items to be purchased for them.