I want to emigrate from the UK, looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thecritix, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecritix macrumors 6502

Hi All
    I'm a 19 year old student in the UK, my girlfriend is 21 and in her final year i'm in my second year.

I'm living in a country thats just commited to raising its national debt to 1 trillion pounds (assuming it goes as they hope) I'm going to have to pay that back, for years of waste and now saving bankers who should be locked up!

Our country is overrun with gangs, crime, a lazy population and job stealing, benefit thieving immigrants.

My local area is so 'multicultural', it isn't Britain, it's a miniworld.
    And I don't want to live in this country anymore.

We pay so much tax all the time, everything we buy we pay more than the rest of the world for..

There's no one to vote for, Brown made this mess, Cameron/Osbourne are no better (as proved by Osbourne's meetings with rich russians and Mandy)
    and the rest never have a chance of getting into power.

My girlfriends grandad often says similar to the above and says to get out of this country and I think he has a point.

Is Canada a difficult country to emigrate to?
    What are the 'negatives' associated other than the american/canadian rivalry.

It looks a beautiful country with lower population.
    We're both studying music (not a key service i know..) but what do you need to get into Canada?

Cheers for your opinions, thoughts and advice.

Nick

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Canada works off a points-based system.

You can calculate your 'points' on a calculator on the immigration website.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's a bit strong don't you think, generalising every immigrant like that, some would call that racist...
    and it's slightly ironic as you'd be an immigrant yourself... going over to Canada to "steal" a job of theirs.

Canada is a wonderful place to live, from what I've heard from other Canadians and friends that have visited, it's also a pretty difficult place to get into now-a-days (could be wrong), and I'd say you'd need a relative living there, because you're not going to get in with just music skills...

Sorry to burst your bubble

To be honest, we're not in the red as much as you'd assume, I'd say stop the reading the Daily Mail/The Sun/The Mirror/The Daily Star, and go enjoy England for a bit, it's not as bad as you've been brainwashed to think it is.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Good bye and good riddance.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Good riddance.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I suggest Baghdad, Lashkar Gar or Beirut. It always nice when somebody complaining about immigrants, then asks for advice about becoming an immigrant.

Are you a Daily Mail reader by any chance?

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

While I agree with your opinions on the job stealing bit, I totally agree with the OP that the way this country lets immigrants come here to only steal benefits is ridiculous.

It's not, actually. I have a lot of friends in Canada, and around 30/40% of their friends are immigrants.

I am also very close to people who have done the move both ways, and it's not that difficult. Getting into the US is far more difficult - sadly, for me. I'd love to live there, especially now Barack is in office.

Canada is a very liberal place. One of the most liberal.

He's leaving the UK, not England. He doesn't hold an 'English' passport - its British. The other parts are good too, you know? If not better.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

FYI, I don't think most or at least many immigrants are given benefits. It says it right there on my visa "no recourse to public funds". This immigrant anyway isn't thieving a ****ing thing from you, if that helps ease some of your bitterness.

Good luck being an immigrant somewhere yourself. I think you'll find annoyances to be had everywhere, just different sorts.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

thecritix
    macrumors regular

Actually... :p

11. sananda macrumors 68020

what's the difference between those coming to the UK and "stealing" a job and your going to Canada and "stealing" a job? is steal an irregular verb? i work in another country, you steal jobs, he is a thieving darkie?

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

People with that kind of attitude are not best known for their intellectual prowess :).

13. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Still, that means nothing.

He's a British citizen - not an English one. If he was to leave, he'd be leaving the UK - not just England. Just because of where he's located, doesn't mean he's 'English' - he could be in London for university after all. He could in fact be Irish.

14. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

FYI, iBlue, I was going against the generalisation rule, in case my post came across in the "I'm against immigrants" way. A lot of my friends are immigrants, so sorry if I caused any offense (not even sure I did, just didn't want to hurt someones feelings).

Out of interest, what interested you in the UK, and might I ask, where did you originally move from?

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No offense taken.

I'm american, grew up in California and moved here from Florida. I'm here because I married an Englishman. :)

16. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

It's interesting to see how a lot of people are replying with "Good riddance".

Doesn't it bother you that someone hates their home country so much they want to leave?

Granted a lot of his points are flawed in their arguments, but his basic statements are true - except for the job stealing immigrants part.

I just find it weird that no one even challenged his argument, or tried to assist him and simply wrote him off. If this country is so good that you'd be glad to be rid of people like the OP, why don't you prove him wrong and list some of the countries good points? (NHS not counting, since that's very much a grey area).

To me, its like you people know the UK is becoming a worse place to live, and rather than talk about it, you'd rather write someone off who challenges the state of the country by telling them to 'sod off'.

17. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Take him home the other way girl! I know I would, in a heart beat.

I loved the US.

Hopefully now Barack is in office, you guys will be seeing a turn for the better.

Hope you voted, lady! :)

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe someday, for now this is the better place for us both, as much as I miss certain aspects of the US. (mostly certain foods, the weather I am used to and a lower cost of living) It's just one of those things, there are good and bad aspects to both.

Appypollyloggies for the thread detour, peeps.

19. calculus Guest

calculus

It's hardly surprising that people are responding like that, it was my first thought too. It seems to me that it's not his country he hates but most of the people who live in it.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You expect to have a rational conversation with someone who writes this "Our country is overrun with gangs, crime, a lazy population and job stealing, benefit thieving immigrants." good luck with that. Incidentally I'm not a Brit but live here because I choose to.

21. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

To be honest, I don't think that you're the type of immigrant that he was talking about. :rolleyes:

It's funny how the word immigrant has turned from a word to describe people coming from abroad to benefit us, into a pejorative term used by daily mail readers to describe why the UK is in turmoil.

22. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, that's pretty much how it is all across Europe, so you wouldn't benefit much from moving to, say, France, Sweden or Germany. But Denmark has an extremely tough line against non-European immigrants, one toe across the line and they're deported. And so does Finland -- well, it's not so much toughness, it's simply that they basically don't let anyone in at all. They have some kind of invisible shield against the meat tsunami. Since both Finland and Denmark are members of the EU, you're free to move there.

But since you're 19 you can't possibly have experienced a non-multicultural Britain. Sounds more like you're quoting your dad. If you were 40 or 60 I might understand, but you're not old enough to know what you're missing.

23. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I see your point. The OP's comments were quite uneducated - but I think I understand where he's coming from on some of them at least.

Sure, he makes quite extreme statements - overrun with gangs and crime, but he is based in the capital so maybe that's his excuse.

I still stand by my statement though, that it's wrong to simply dismiss him with a 'good riddance'.

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What's the point? I like it here, he obviously does not.

I'm sure in his 19 years he would know what bits of Britain he likes and dislikes.

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

West London? Hounslow? Somehow I don't think you're talking about Chiswick. Why the quotation marks? Why don't you just say what you mean instead of using, in your terms, a euphemism?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.