I want to extend my audio port so I don't keep turning monitor around

TFL167

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
UK
I don't want to keep turning the monitor around to plug in my headphones.

I purchased an extender so I could just plug it in and leave it there and when i want to use the headphones I could just plug it in to the extender without turning the monitor.
But when I plug the extender in the sound/audio does not play through my speakers until I unplug the extender.

In other words if the extender is the only thing plugged in there is no sound so I would have to unplug it and then plug it back in when I want to use the headphones

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't want to keep turning the monitor around to plug in my headphones.

I purchased an extender so I could just plug it in and leave it there and when i want to use the headphones I could just plug it in to the extender without turning the monitor.
But when I plug the extender in the sound/audio does not play through my speakers until I unplug the extender.

In other words if the extender is the only thing plugged in there is no sound so I would have to unplug it and then plug it back in when I want to use the headphones
That's the way the headphone port works. If anything is plugged into it, it diverts the sound from the internal speakers to whatever is plugged in. When you unplug, the sound diverts back to the internal speakers, which are unavailable while something is plugged in. It's a hardware switch that accomplishes this.

TFL167

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
UK
Thanks so it seems that I will have to live with it and continue to fish for the audio port to plug headphones in.

Ah well such is life LOL

TFL167

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL167 View Post
Thanks so it seems that I will have to live with it and continue to fish for the audio port to plug headphones in.
Ahh, the pain and suffering caused by first world problems, right?
You know then .... :D

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Ah well such is life LOL
You can go into System Preferences > Sound and then go into Output. When you're using the extender, without anything set, "Use audio port for" to "Sound Input" and when you're using headphone, to "Sound Output".

Might be able to make it a one button thing with AppleScript.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can go into System Preferences > Sound and then go into Output. When you're using the extender, without anything set, "Use audio port for" to "Sound Input" and when you're using headphone, to "Sound Output".
Where is that setting? No such setting appears on Mavericks.

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Although it would involve spending money, you could consider getting a USB DAC that has a headphone jack.

Of course the money doesn't stop bleeding there, because you'd need external speakers too. Directing audio to the DAC means disabling the internal speakers (I'm assuming that you're talking about the 5k iMac in your signature).

I was using an Audioengine D1 DAC with Audioengine A2+ speakers, and the combo put a headphone jack right on my desk. But . . . I couldn't get my 5k iMac to reliably recognize the D1, although the iMac is happy with the USB connection to the A2+ units. (I already had the D1 from a previous life and was using it precisely to have a jack where I wanted it.)

A DAC + speakers would solve your problem. And hurt your bank balance.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If you have the volume shown in the menu bar you can Option+Click the speaker and choose the audio output you want to use.
If you have anything plugged into the headphone jack another option for 'Headphones' will show up under Output Device:

Attachments

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you have the volume shown in the menu bar you can Option+Click the speaker and choose the audio output you want to use.
That won't work. With anything plugged into the headphone/speaker port, that dropdown list shows "Headphones" instead of "Internal Speakers". It won't show both at the same time, giving you a choice between them.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
That won't work. With anything plugged into the headphone/speaker port, that dropdown list shows "Headphones" instead of "Internal Speakers". It won't show both at the same time, giving you a choice between them.
Ahhh, that's right. The headphones cancel out the internal speakers completely and won't even give then option to choose them. You'd need USB headphones to do the Option+Click between the two.

TFL167

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I am pretty sure this isn't new to Yosemite. I am positive that I was messing with this in Leopard.

Attachment 524843
Interesting. It's not here in Mavericks:
Attachment 524844
not shown in mine either it shows that same as GGJstudios

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hmm, found a screenshot here:

After some digging, it appears the difference lies in the audio port differences between your MBP model and the iMac and MBP the OP and I are using.

OS X Yosemite: If you can’t hear sound from your speakers
If your computer has only one audio port, choose Sound Output from the “Use audio port for” menu, then make sure your external speakers are selected.
The OP's iMac:
Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 11.58.46 AM.PNG
My MBP:
Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 11.58.33 AM.PNG
Your MBP (processor may be different):
Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 11.59.07 AM.PNG

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Creative used to do a set of speakers with their own volume control and headphone socket in a separate little unit. I've used them in the past, fastening the control unit to the desk (blu-tac) which was a neat solution if you don't mind external speakers.

Baron015

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
I want to extend my audio port so I don't keep turning monitor around

USB and DAC with headphones socket. You don't need external speakers.

Then you can choose either internal speakers, or output to DAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.