I want to give my old 3G to my mom...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shorties, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Im getting the new one and my mom wants my old 3G. Is there anything special I have to do? Or can I just put her SIM card in it. She doesn't have a data plan, and AT&T requires that doesn't it? Can I add the 200MB plan to hers through their website?

2. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

You're such a sweetie. Your mom must be very proud. Pop her sim in the iPhone, and away she goes.

3. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

wont work if your mom dont have ATT son

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

I am in the same situation that you're in. I will be abandoning my 3G to my mom and her current plan doesn't have data. Turn off 3G, EDGE (?) and hide any app that uses data. That way, she doesn't accidentally rack up $50 of data.

5. n8236 macrumors 65816

Unlock, son.

6. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I am expecting to recieve my iP4 and day now and when i do I am going to give my 3g to my mom. Currently, she has the first generation iphone with the $20 data plan. If she just pops her sim will the phone work? will AT&T know if we don't change her plan?

7. bina12834 macrumors regular

im wondering about this too. my gf wants to give her mom her 3G, but her mom currently has one of the free phones from AT&T that doesnt have a data plan. Does she just have to stick the sim card from the free phone into my gf's old 3G and then get the cheap data plan? Or does she need a data plan at all?

8. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

I gave my wife my 3g, i put the SIM from her samsung in the 3g, voice and text worked but I had to call AT&T to get her switched from the $15 media net plan to the $15 iPhone data plan. Took about 5 minutes.

9. Munitalp macrumors 65816

If you were truly a nice son you would keep the old 3G and give her the iPhone 4, ya?

10. sm23131 macrumors newbie

Old 3G goes to Mom

I am doing the same thing. Can I just put the current AT&T SIM from my mother's old phone into my old 3G and not add any additional plan? I don't want to increase her bill. Will voice and text still work? Or will AT&T eventually add the plan to her account?

11. jakeacc macrumors regular

You should sell the 3G phone online and then use that money towards buying your mom an iPhone4. Then, both of you can video chat on FaceTime. I think she would like that feature more than anything else the iPhone offers.

12. BobXX macrumors newbie

I have heard that if you pop a sim into an iPhone (or any the smartphone that AT&T offers, for that matter), a data plan will be automatically added to that account as soon as AT&T detects the change in phone (usually within a day or two).

So yes, a data plan is required.