I want to have my iPad's screen mirrored on a projector (wirelessly)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WhutNZ, Jun 9, 2011.

1. WhutNZ macrumors newbie

As the title says - I would like to wirelessly stream my ipad screen to a projector.

I teach english in elementary schools and would like to be able to take the ipad around the room and have kids answer quizzes etc and show in real time to the rest of the class what's happening.

I have a macbook, and an adhoc capable usb wireless thingee (showing my technical prowess here). And I can quite easily hook my laptop up to the projectors at school.

I know there are a number of apps to show your laptop's screen on the ipad, (and control your computer) but I would like the other way around.

I know that using an hdmi or other cable you can directly connect an iPad to a projector, but I would like to do it wirelessly.

Does anyone have any ideas or know any apps/combinations of apps that might work?

I would appreciate any help,
    Thanks.

2. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

This is a feature of iOS 5 (being released this fall) but it will require the use of Apple TV 2, plugged into the projector with a HDMI lead, and connected to the same wireless network as an iPad 2.

Not a very practical solution I'm afriad. The other option would a wireless HDMI reciever, but these are expensive, and you would need to have an extra box plugged into your iPad 2...

3. Mcclure macrumors member

Anyone know if there is going to be an issue with the iPad screen not being the full projector size, when using Apple TV? Right now using the HDMI cable and a Dell projector (don't have the number at home) the iPad mirroring only shows up as a small part of the projected image. This is due to the projector jumping to 1080 because of the HDMI cable, but the iPad not having near that resolution. I ended up using the VGA adapter and then the projector goes to whatever resolution the input is. I'm hoping that going through Apple TV will up-convert the resolution of the iPad. I don't need it to be higher resolution just fill up the screen.

4. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Using an AppleTV with HDMI to your projector will work just fine. You wont have any iPad-related resolution issues.

5. WhutNZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. Thank you.

hrm, hopefully there'll be a jailbreak released soon and an unofficial app will enable the capability.