I want to have my iPhone replaced, but I'm nervous

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amino Man, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Amino Man macrumors 6502

My home button is a little flaky. A few times a day a single press of the button will make the app switcher come up.

I want to exchange my iPhone at the genius bar but I'm worried about a few things.

1. They'll think I'm crazy.
    2. What if I can't make it do it there?
    3. I'll get an iPhone with other problems (yellow screen, wobbly buttons, proximity sensor issue)

On the other hand, I may get one that works the way I want and perhaps if I'm lucky I'll get one with 4.0.2 pre-loaded on it.

What is your advice to me?

2. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

I believe the scientific term is called "grow a sack".

3. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

Up to you...

Well I am on my 3rd iPhone 4 and they have all had something wrong with them. Bum battery on the 1st, light bleed on the 2nd, and this one has a strange discoloration on the bottom half of all the pictures it takes. I refused one service phone because it was scratched up right out of the box. So you will have to make the choice to either live with the problem you have or take your chances and get a replacement.

4. r2fa3l macrumors regular

i replaced mine for heating when taking videos.....
    i got one that ejects my simcard every 4 hours. and it gets better
    there's this white looking thing stuck on the upper right corner.

But they'll just change the homebutton don't worry
    the home button costs about 1-2 dollars.
    trust me they'll fix it.

5. andrewsd macrumors 6502

My home button was broke and they gave me a brand new phone.. Now I do know that completely not working is way different then it just being finicky but you never know.

6. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Don't over analyze the issue. If it is defective, get it replaced. If it is OK, stop worrying.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, I agree with the person above. If there is a problem, get it fixed. If there is not, then don't worry about it.

Just make sure you that you really do have a problem, and if you do, stick to your guns and don't let them try to persuade you otherwise. I remember I was at the Apple Store and a genius told someone their iPod had water damage. The person seemed like he had no idea about technology or anything, but either way, he didn't even ask about it. My phone's sticker turned pink a little near the dock, but I argued my way that it was humidity by keeping my phone in hotel bathrooms a lot (they don't have ventilation ;) ) and she could check the internal sensors too, and finally, she replaced it.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

This guy has no clue what he's talking about. I had my iPt replaced once, iP 3G replaced once, and iP4 replaced twice, and I'll be taking it in for my fourth iP4 tomorrow. They will absolutely NOT fix it. They will most likely give you a new one, and if you find problems with it, you can take it in and get another new one.

9. michael31986 macrumors 68040

maybe its the 4.1 bug that people are talking about. it can't be hardware if it very rarely happens.

10. kawasakirider macrumors regular

What exactly was the battery problem on your first iPhone? My 4 has terrible battery life but I just thought they were like that.

11. sic2five macrumors member

Same problem here. Sometimes I need to press my home button 3-5 times before it even works. Wiped the phone yesterday & it's still doing it.

12. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I can make my home button act up depending on where I press the button down. This means it's not a software issue, but it's the ONLY thing wrong with my iPhone. I don't wanna trade this defect in for a worse defect.

13. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

don't be afraid to go to the apple store for small things. You paid good money and if it bothers you, then you should get it fixed to your satisfaction. I would, however, worry that a replacement might be worse than the original but I would highly doubt that would happen.

14. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

The battery was fine for the first month or so then it started to die rather quickly after that. I could not get near the 6 hr 3G browsing time that is advertised.

15. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

I got bad experience with apple store. I came in to have my brand new ip4 replace due to yellow tint screen, compared to all 6 display ones on table. they brought out three phones; two of them have worse yellow tint and the third one is better but still have yellow tint. I took home the third one and found out it got speaker issue.

back to apple store and they brought out one with yellow tint :mad:. they won't let me pick a different one this time. either this one or not at all. I went home with the same phone having the speaker issue.

16. michael31986 macrumors 68040

See I can't replicate it which makes me think it's software.

17. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Just take it in and talk to them about it, they're really good about exchanging them.

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Awe. :(:(:(

Do you not feel...uh odd...having them take three phones out just for you, then choosing which one you want? Only to go back and complain about the color of your damn screen?

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Read much?

20. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I setup a Genius Bar appointment tonight. I'm actually at the Apple Store right now.

I decided not to get my iPhone replaced. While I was waiting for my appointment, I played with about 5 of the display iPhones and I was able to reproduce this issue on ALL 5.

These iPhones were running iOS 4.0 so you can't blame it on 4.1.

The Genius guy put in a complaint with Apple about my issue though. Hopefully they get enough of these complaints.

I think if they change the sensitivity of the double-click by just a little, it will be a "non issue"

Thanks everyone.