I want to hook up my MBP to my HDTV. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitoCrisis, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ChitoCrisis, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Because you have an older MacBook Pro that doesn't support audio over mini DisplayPort, you're going to need something like this.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could use an adapter like that, or you could get a miniDisplayPort to HDMI cable, and a 1/8" to RCA audio cable, and plug that into the headphone jack.

4. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

So with that adapter I can just plug in my HDMI cable? It won't make the image look bad or anything because it's being done through usb?

I didn't know what you suggested allust but after doing a google image search I understood.

Hmm, which would be cheaper? I'm going to stores tomorrow.

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

With the device dagamer34 listed it pushes the audio and video over HDMI. The USB is used for your audio while the mDP is used for the video. The quality would be great. I suggest ordering from http://monoprice.com because they have great products at excellent prices.

If you have a surround sound system you have another option. If it supports optical audio you could run the audio from your heaphone jack over a toslink to mini toslink cable, also from monoprice.

6. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thanks acedickson. :) I don't have surround sound so I'll just go the cheaper route which ever it may be.

I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks a lot! :)

7. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Didn't Macbook Pros in 2008 still have mini dvi's and not mini display ports? I used to have a mini dvi-to dvi converter. Then I had a dvi to hdmi chord that I'd plug into the tv. And yes, no sound, but if you are going to go the non-usb route this is what you'll need.

All of that is like $40-$50 bucks.

Edit: also the adapter earlier in the thread is a mini display port, so you couldn't use it if you have mini-cvi

8. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

9. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Do you have a a Mini DVI or a Mini Displayport? In Apple Specs it shows Macbook Pros Early and Late 2008 with mini DVI and 2008 Late with mini displayport

10. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I just checked the box and it says it has mini display port.

11. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Ok sweet, that adapter that you posted will work. Just get an HDMI cable from there. Remember when buying the cable that they are all pretty much equal, so don't buy like a $100 cable thinking you'll get better quality, get a nice $15 one or so.

12. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Open about this mac > more info > model number.

Get me that information and I'll find out for you.

If it does support it then this adapter, Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter, will work and it's only $6.46. I use that exact model.

Super cheap HDMI cables are on Monoprice as well. I get all of my cables from there.

13. erphan, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

erphan macrumors newbie

If you don't want to mess with the additional cables and have some extra money, check out the Kanex mLinq. It's a USB to HDMI cable that supports audio out and even extended desktop, up to three monitors.

14. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I saw the cheap ones and that would have been perfect but I think it's best if I get one with the usb adapter so the sound will come from the tv. It would be much easier for me and there wouldn't be a mess with a bunch of cables around. The cheapest I've seen this cable has been about $30. Not that bad I suppose but shipping is like $8.

15. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

16. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Like I said before, a MacBook Pro made in late 2008 does not support audio over mini DisplayPort, as such, that cable isn't going to be as useful as you might want it to be. I assume he wants both audio and video in one cable. Only Macs made since April 2010 can use that cable to its full capacity with both audio and video being transmitted.