I want to jailbreak my phone, but..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hexero, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hexero, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Hexero macrumors regular

Hello!
    I want to try out jailbreaking. But I got a few questions:

1. My phone seems to be one of those iPhone 4's that have this problem:
    http://www.topiphoneresource.info/iphone4-wont-turn-on/

It turns on when I hold the home and power button for 15 seconds, but it is annoying. Will holding the home and power button work while my phone is jailbroken?

2. In the article above, you may have to send in your phone and get a replacement from Apple. But when you jailbreak, you lose your warranty. The only thing I need to do is re-install everything on my phone from iTunes?

3. What should I actually do if my phone turns off and won't turn on while it's jailbroken? Am I pretty ****ed up then?

Please share your thoughts and ups/downs with jailbreaking.
    Thanks!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

3. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Because that problem doesn't occur all the time. Sometimes.

But since we're talking about it. If I return it to Apple, will they replace my iPhone 4 with a new one? Should I call AppleCare? How can I "prove" that I have this problem?

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I think that if you're over the phone, as long as you can articulate the issue, Apple should be willing to take it back from you.

At a store, you'd just have to demo it, or again make sure the Apple advisor understands the issue.

You shouldn't have to live with your phone doing that. Exchange it.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

1. You can't jb without a functioning power button and home button. You don't want to be in the middle of DFU and find out that's the moment your power button decides to crap out.

Everything else can be found out through research on the hacks forum. Start with the stickies. :rolleyes:

6. patp Guest

Do not jailbreak your phone.
    Call Apple and make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar.
    Show them your phone, be polite. Explain how it only turns on if you hold both buttons down. Tell them it's intermittent problem and very frustrating cause you don't know when it's going to happen. You just need a reliable phone for your work, school whatever.

They will most likely replace the phone for you.

At no time should you ever mutter the words JAILBREAK.

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

If your phone is defective, Apple will more than likely replace it.

But, don't jailbreak it.