I want to know every command in terminal. could any of you help me out?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by killswitch1698, Oct 19, 2009.

1. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

Hey all.

I know this sounds really odd, but im just curious about figuring stuff out with my mac. You could say that i want to be a hacker, but im not really aiming towards that. i just want to learn mroe about my computer, so if any of you could give me like a list of commands in terminal, that would be great.

also if anyone could tell me a little bit how terminal works; that would be great also.

thanks in advance.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

go pick up a book on unix or google unix

thats the best way to learn

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Open Terminal.app

Type a then hit the tab key (you might need to hit tab twice, or confirm that you want it to list all commands). It'll show you all commands starting with a. Repeat with b,c,d etc to get a list of all commands. (well OK, you also need to do A-Z as a and A are totally different at the terminal level).

You can type man <commandname> to get more info on any single command.

Edit to add. You can just open the terminal and hit tab twice then y to list all commands (well all commands in PATH at least).

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Tab will auto-complete your current word if there is only one possibility. Double tab will list all possibilities, with possible confirmation.

The space bar skips ahead a page, arrow keys go up down lines.

Typing man (for manual) then the command name will get you all the help you need to start using it.

The 'apropos' command will search all manuals for commands and return the list with short description to help you find what command you're looking for.

5. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

ls /usr/bin/ /usr/local/bin/ /usr/sbin/ /usr/local/sbin/

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Are you sure you understand the nature of the question you're asking? I doubt Linus himself knows all the commands on his Linux box.

I get the sense that what you want is to know your way around the command line, in which case you're best off googling "newbie bash guide." Knowing a thousand different commands isn't going to get you very far if you don't understand how to get them to work with eachother.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Get a copy of A Practical Guide to the Unix System by Mark Sobell. Learn what's in that. It's a little dated, but accessible and still relevant. Beyond that, you'll have to start by asking yourself what you want to do instead of what you've got.

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I agree with Signal-11, you will most likely be overwhelmed. I'd suggest learning how to do the most basics first, such as:

1. Show which directory you're currently in
    2. Change to another directory
    3. List the files in a directory
    4. Create a blank file
    5. Output the contents of a file

Have fun :)

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have this book and second this motion.