iPad I want to make sure my screen is not yellow - where do I buy from?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Young Turk, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Young Turk macrumors 6502

I've returned a 32gb Space Grey iPad Air to T-Mobile.com because the left side of the screen was visibly yellow, while the right side was normal. The nearest Apple Store is about 300 miles from me.

I want to open the box in store and make sure the screen is perfect to my eyes, and if its not, I want my money back on the spot, no questions asked.

Should I buy from Best Buy, Walmart, or Target?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

300 miles is a good few hours drive though...

4. hologram macrumors 6502

Walmart will let you open it to check before you pay for it. Dunno about the others.

5. Szarky macrumors 6502a

Such an annoying problem. I bought 2 and they both had yellow bottom 1/4 of the screen. Returned them and went online to buy from the Apple store.

6. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I was at Best Buy tonight, and the Apple rep was still there. I mentioned the yellow screen thing to him, and he immediately said to bring it back. I told him mine was okay, but he said they know about the problem, and to bring it back. Now, that's if one side is yellow. Overall yellow or blue is another story, but you can return any screen you don't like to Best Buy until Jan. 10 (or something close to that date). The Apple rep did say some screens are overall yellow, and some overall blue, but that an uneven screen is something that should be returned without question.

7. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Last year when I purchased the iPad 4, I got 3 from the Apple store with yellow tints on various parts of the screen. I decided to try just one more and bought the 4th at Best Buy. It has a perfectly uniform white screen with no flaws that I can detect. This year again after 3 tries I got an Air with a very good screen. It has a slight yellow tinge in the bottom left, only visible on a white background if you are looking for it and this one came from an Apple store. I don't think it matters where you buy one. It's just a lottery. I will say that I had very good customer service at the Apple store and at Best Buy. All the iPads with yellow screens were returned within the 14 day period with no problem.

8. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Just try your luck and buy it from the Apple Store.

If it's yellow, just exchange it for a new one.

9. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

Got lucky and got a perfect one from Best Buy. Didn't even open the box in store.

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I'd say you got unlucky with the yellow screen unit.
    It's normal to get an iPad without yellow areas on the screen usually.

11. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

You must be new to these forums then. :)

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The amount of people reporting yellow screens on these forums is not an indication of any sort in real world.
    Chances are you'll get a perfect unit, most of the times.

13. EZB macrumors newbie

Exactly. Mine is not a all yellow. There is no edge bleed. The gamut is affected, but only mildly. It looks great to me compared with my ipad 4...just slightly less red, but green looks less neon. My retina mini does have image retention, but that does not bother me.

14. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I would have thought so too until last year when I got 3 iPad 4s with yellow tints on the screen and again this year with 3 iPad Airs with yellow screens. Even the 4th Air which I'm keeping and am happy with has a slight yellow tinge on the bottom left. My rMBP purchased a year ago also has a slight yellow tinge on the right. I still have my iPad 4 from last year with a perfectly beautiful bright white and uniform screen so they are out there.

15. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I prefer a yellow screen compared to a blue screen. It's much easier on the eyes. It has a warm glow effect. Too much use with a blueish screen gives me headaches.

Can't wait for F.Lux.

16. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Go to the Apple store, they will take care of you. I recommend holding the screen at arms length, outstretched, to be sure this is not a perspective issue, when judging for unevenness. Most screens have an overall hue that is slightly warm or cold, but are definitely in the acceptable range. Don't be a jerk and go through 5 or 6 like some in this forum. Absolute perfection cannot be found. Hi def clarity and strong color performance can be.