I want to monitor Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by verdonne, Aug 11, 2008.

1. verdonne macrumors newbie

I work in a workgroup that is managed by Apple Remote Desktop. I'm interested in knowing what the administrator is doing when he accesses my machine. It doesn't need to be real-time, for instance if I could generate a report at the end of the day that would be cool. I'm just fascinated by automation software and programs that increase efficiency. So does anyone know of a way to somehow record or find out what has been done on my machine by the ARD admin?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The whole point is that you don't know :). Being able to access that kind of information would be a HUGE security breach and would basically make ARD worthless, as it could potentially give users access to the root password for the local machines.

If you don't have administrator permissions, the short answer is no. There is no way you can find out. The long answer is that you could potentially watch the change date on certain system configuration files and assertain what files they have been editing but then you would not be sure whether the system has changed them itself or not.

3. verdonne thread starter macrumors newbie

ARD- I am the admin for my local machine

Yeah I forgot to mention that - I am an admin user for my local machine and I am the only user. I don't need to know any mission critical info... I'd even be satisfied to start with knowing whether or no the admin is just watching, or interacting, or pulling reports or what. I don't need to see this activity for any other machine, I just want to keep abreast of what is being collected from my usage on my own machine. For starters, I have already seen that the menubar icon does tell me how long it has been since the last admin. access. Are there any indicators other than that?

4. verdonne thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically I just want to know when an RD admin starts observing my machine so I can close my bank website or other sensitive information while he is working with my machine. I see that I can click "Message to Administrator" and the popup will show me how many minutes have elapsed since he last accessed my machine, but I'd love it if the taskbar icon would blink or something when access starts. I just want a heads-up.