I want to port my number later. Will Apple store give out temp numbers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impact_blue, Jul 25, 2008.

1. impact_blue macrumors regular

Will Apple stores give out temporary numbers if I buy from them so I can go and port my number later? I want to test out the AT&T network before make a commitment, but at the same time keep my number in order to port it later if I'm sold. I can't wait for AT&T to have iphone in stock when they're a bunch at my local Apple store.

2. TonyMil macrumors member

Pick up a Go Phone from AT&T without a contract. That way you'll have a device to try the service with and not have to make a two year commitment. If you're satisfied with the service go back and get an iPhone along with the contract.

3. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Yup. You dont have to port your other number. It can be done anytime. I waited about 2 days before doing mine.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Move your wanted number to prepay to keep it perhaps? Should be able to bring it over later on.

5. wronski macrumors 6502

So I can go to the Apple store, buy the iPhone and sign the contract, get a new phone number, and then go to an AT&T store some other time and port my T-Mobile number to the iPhone then?

6. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Yep, that's what I'm doing in 1.5 weeks when my Verizon contract is up. They just gave me a regular phone number like I am a new customer, and told me to call them when I am ready to port. They will port it over for free for the first 30 days. Maybe longer, but somewhere I had heard 30 days.

7. impact_blue thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds goooood. Thank everyone.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

But why not just port straight over? Unlock your T-Mobile handset and then port your number to ATT Prepay.. then move to iPhone contract...

9. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

because he wants to see if he likes ATT service BEFORE he ports. if he ported his number to prepay it wouldnt be on tmobile anymore if he wanted to go back..

10. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I think you're missing the point. The original poster wants to test the AT&T service first. Porting cancels the T-Mobile line, and makes it harder to go back to T-Mobile if they decide AT&T sucks or whatever.

11. RynoZebz macrumors regular

Note that you must do this winthin 30 days or they will charge you a fee. My store said it was like 36 bucks.

12. meistervu macrumors 65816

And you don't even have to go to the store to port your number. The is a toll free number from AT&T to do that. I took me 3 minutes on the phone, and the port is completed in less than 10 minutes. I picked a less busier time to call.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, you can call 611 and tell a rep you want to port a number into your existing account (be sure that you stress this). They'll transfer you to the porting department, which can handle it from there.

Also, it helps to call from a phone OTHER than the ones you're porting into/out from. If you need to call from a landline or non-ATT cell phone, the number is 1-800-331-0500.