I want to purchase OS X 10.6, clean install, and then sell the macbook..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by knoxville, Mar 4, 2013.

1. knoxville macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I want to clean install a 2.17 GHz Macbook with OS X 10.6. However, I want to sell it afterwards and want the person buying it to have full control over the license. Should I make a new Apple ID, buy the software, install it, and then give the person who buys it the new Apple ID so they can have full control in case they need to reinstall OS X 10.6 in the future?

The issue I am considering is the new user having their own Apple ID from which they would use to upload their music to iTunes on the new computer. I am trying to figure out if there would be a conflict.

Any advice helps!

Thank you.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10.6 does not require an Apple ID to install. Just include the DVD and the purchaser will be all set :)

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

Do you already have 10.6? If so just give them the DVD disk when you sell it.
    If not, just buy a DVD from the Apple Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

4. knoxville thread starter macrumors newbie

5. COrocket macrumors 6502

If you put the CD into your computer you can wipe the current hard drive do a clean install. When you make a new admin user account just keep the info and give it to the buyer along with the CD should they ever need to do a new install themselves.

6. knoxville thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good idea. I'm going to do that. Thanks!

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In my opinion, it's better to not create an account at all. After the installation completes, just quit the Setup Assistant (Cmd-Q) and it'll walk the purchaser through creating an account, selecting timezone, setting up AirPort etc. on the next boot. Remember to eject the DVD before shutting down though :)