Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean barry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Belding, MI
This is my Mini;
This Mac.png

I want to remove the bootcamp partition (½ of the internal HD and put in a regular partition to run Snow Leopard on ( about ¼ of same HD).
And keep OSX 10.10.2 and all my apps on the 1T HD stock internal HD. I have Time machine on a 2T external FW HD.
Apparently I can't change the Bootcamp partition without erasing the entire HD? I have erased the entire Bootcamp partition. But the partition remains stubborn?
I need to know how to do this using Time Machine and I need it explained in terms that I, a complete computer moron can understand.
Bootcamp assistant won't let me do anything;
Bootcamp assistant.png

soy

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Brooklyn
Hi Sean,

This is done through Disk Utility, not Time Machine or Bootcamp.

9n7YqKn.png

In Disk Utility, you'll see your internal hard drive listed, with underneath that the partitions on that drive. On the screenshot above, you can see I have one partition, and both my internal drive, and the partition on it are called Macintosh HD.

Select the hard drive (as in the screenshot) and go to the Partition tab. The partition layout will show your main Mac partition, and the Bootcamp one. Select the Bootcamp partition, and click the - sign to remove it. Click Apply, and once that's done, you can click the + sign to create a new partition for Snow Leopard.

sean barry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Belding, MI
hi sean,

this is done through disk utility, not time machine or bootcamp.

in disk utility, you'll see your internal hard drive listed, with underneath that the partitions on that drive. On the screenshot above, you can see i have one partition, and both my internal drive, and the partition on it are called macintosh hd.

Select the hard drive (as in the screenshot) and go to the partition tab. The partition layout will show your main mac partition, and the bootcamp one. Select the bootcamp partition, and click the - sign to remove it. Click apply, and once that's done, you can click the + sign to create a new partition for snow leopard.
thanks. This will not destroy my data on the yosemite partition?

soy

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Brooklyn
Should leave everything on your Mac partition intact, even said so explicitly when I tried adding a partition to test earlier. Do a quick Time Machine backup just to be on the safe side though, always good to exercise caution.

sean barry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Belding, MI
should leave everything on your mac partition intact, even said so explicitly when i tried adding a partition to test earlier. Do a quick time machine backup just to be on the safe side though, always good to exercise caution.

i tried it 3 times and did not work. Then i checked the os hd and it needed repair.
That worked and then the removal of bootcamp an the partition worked. So now i have a 200 gig partition to plop snow leopard into!

Thank you very very much!!!! :d

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.