I want to see the contents of 2 or more folders...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by wts, Jun 12, 2015.

1. wts macrumors member

wts

If i have a folder on the desktop and double click to open that folder the contents of the folder are now available to me.

Then while that folder is open if i i go to the apple menu bar and go " Applications " or even use shift command A then the contents of the folder now change to a listing of all my applications.

I want to have/see both folders: the desktop folder and the application folder.

How do i set my preferences to see both folders ?

2. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

It is not possible to bring up the contents of two different folders in one Finder window at the same time.

You can either open a new tab in the Finder window & then swop between the tabs.

Or open a second Finder window (Command + N) so that you can drag files etc between the two windows.

3. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

If you hide the active window's toolbar (View > Hide Toolbar) it will work the way you want.

No, it doesn't make any real sense. But it works. When a window's toolbar is hidden, the Finder will open a new window. When a windows toolbar is visible, the Finder will use that same window.

4. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

That doesn't work for me. Even when the toolbar is hidden on a folder I've just opened on the desktop - if i then do command shift A - it still opens Applications in the open desktop folder & overrides the original content.

5. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

Ah. It also won't work if the active window is in Column view.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use an app called TotalFinder which allows me to have multiple folders open side by side in one Finder window.

7. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

Ahhh - that explains why it didn't work.

8. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

Do you mean the TotalFinder tab system?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mmm, no. TotalFinder has a 'dual mode' feature for multiple tabs.

10. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

I have been using TotalFinder for a couple of years. Mainly for the coloured tags, but also for the ability to define the column width.

For years I have used an applescript to open 2 Finder windows at once and therefore haven't bothered with tabs. i hadn't realised that the split window was available in TotalFinder, because one had to have tabs live, I had it turned off.

Ive just tried it and its brilliant - so much better than the applescript setup i had ( one window rather than two )

I love the way that one can just " rediscover " stuff through these forums.