I want to see the contents of 2 or more folders...

wts

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
If i have a folder on the desktop and double click to open that folder the contents of the folder are now available to me.

Then while that folder is open if i i go to the apple menu bar and go " Applications " or even use shift command A then the contents of the folder now change to a listing of all my applications.

I want to have/see both folders: the desktop folder and the application folder.

How do i set my preferences to see both folders ?

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
It is not possible to bring up the contents of two different folders in one Finder window at the same time.

You can either open a new tab in the Finder window & then swop between the tabs.

Or open a second Finder window (Command + N) so that you can drag files etc between the two windows.

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
If you hide the active window's toolbar (View > Hide Toolbar) it will work the way you want.

No, it doesn't make any real sense. But it works. When a window's toolbar is hidden, the Finder will open a new window. When a windows toolbar is visible, the Finder will use that same window.

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
That doesn't work for me. Even when the toolbar is hidden on a folder I've just opened on the desktop - if i then do command shift A - it still opens Applications in the open desktop folder & overrides the original content.

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
That doesn't work for me. Even when the toolbar is hidden on a folder I've just opened on the desktop - if i then do command shift A - it still opens Applications in the open desktop folder & overrides the original content.
Ah. It also won't work if the active window is in Column view.

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
Mmm, no. TotalFinder has a 'dual mode' feature for multiple tabs.
I have been using TotalFinder for a couple of years. Mainly for the coloured tags, but also for the ability to define the column width.

For years I have used an applescript to open 2 Finder windows at once and therefore haven't bothered with tabs. i hadn't realised that the split window was available in TotalFinder, because one had to have tabs live, I had it turned off.

Ive just tried it and its brilliant - so much better than the applescript setup i had ( one window rather than two )

I love the way that one can just " rediscover " stuff through these forums.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.