Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
I'm still waiting on our finances & home projects to abate a little so we can buy that new mac my wife needs... then I get her old G5, then she gives me her iLife and I do 6 years of family video editing in one hit!

But I digress....

I'm wondering whether or not to cram in Kompozer or wait for iWeb.

I notice a thread here about whether iWeb is really "that bad". Surely not? It's MAC!? Surely it has a BUNCH of really cool templates I can just pick, add an image or 2, put a little type in, and there is my brand spanking new business "brochure" site.

Surely if I'm not actually going to be a web-designer professionally, and our design studio stays strictly print, that should be enough to at least advertise our wares?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
To be honest it depends on certain things.

For me, iWeb is a fantastic tool and with each release, it has became even better.

I have been able to design our local Mac User Group website from scratch using iWeb so you are not limited to the templates. Two websites I made using iWeb are below:

AbdnMUG
DJE Photography

Many professional web designers will say that it makes you less professional if you use iWeb to create your company website, but I would tend to disagree with this. It all depends on how good your graphic design skills are and how efficient you are at putting ideas into practice.

One thing I would say is that you should publish your site to your own hosting service, rather than .Mac, particularly if it is a company site.

If you check out the other iWeb threads here, you will see a whole bunch of sites created in iWeb.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Hi all,

Surely if I'm not actually going to be a web-designer professionally, and our design studio stays strictly print, that should be enough to at least advertise our wares?
I am not a designer either but here is what I came up with using iweb.
You may have to do some blind digging as much is in french but one site is all about iweb
clubiweb.com
mireillegreen.com

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I notice a thread here about whether iWeb is really "that bad". Surely not? It's MAC!? Surely it has a BUNCH of really cool templates I can just pick, add an image or 2, put a little type in, and there is my brand spanking new business "brochure" site.

As people stated in that thread, it all depends on what you need iWeb to be able to do for you. If you'll just be adding some pictures and some text to go along with it, iWeb will be fine enough for you. Though, if you start needing more stuff on your site it may not be possible with iWeb.

There's a thread in this forum with people showing off their iWeb sites, that's be a good spot to see what people are creating with iWeb.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
If you'll just be adding some pictures and some text to go along with it, iWeb will be fine enough for you. Though, if you start needing more stuff on your site it may not be possible with iWeb.
Well I have to say that iWeb is a lot more capable than many think. It is not just to add pictures and texte anymore. Flash is possible, iframes are possible, tables are possible, widgets are possible. Really the possibilities are pretty much limited to the user's imagination and skills. even without ever entering code manually.
My .02

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I really really really hate how iWeb will format the paragraphs and all. I took a look at an iWeb website's source and was amazed at how heavy the HTML was. it would add tags every 3 words or so and it puts all the styles directly in the html which I also hate.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I really really really hate how iWeb will format the paragraphs and all. I took a look at an iWeb website's source and was amazed at how heavy the HTML was. it would add tags every 3 words or so and it puts all the styles directly in the html which I also hate.
Granted it puts out nasty looking code but it was not designed for people who know how to code. It was designed for the home user who wanted to do a site with as little fuss as possible. Can't have everthing but for the money (it cost about $16 ) and for people who don't want a long learning curve it is unbeatable. I have seen plenty of pretty nasty stuff put out by so called web designers. So let's keep things in perspective it is not perfect but it does not deserve being put down either.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
I love the way the purists talk about "nasty code". :D It reminds me of the time I was having trouble with my original GoLive site, and I asked someone here for help. This is a GoLive site where — as a total newbie — I had started formatting each page individually, then gradually introduced CSS on top of that, then edited other stuff in tables etc etc back and forth until each page nearly crashed every time I tried to write a few words of text! I got so disillusioned with GoLive that I ended up closing my site and just put the whole thing I was doing on BLOGGER!

So anyway, I asked for help and someone here took one look at the source code and said they nearly crapped their pants glancing at the code. :eek: They said they'd never ever seen such bad code. No wonder my old site was having trouble every time I tried to edit it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.