I want to sell my ipod touch before my rebate comes back...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MB98XJ, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

Is this legit? The person I sell it to won't have the UPC label. What are the best ways to sell? Craigslist, ebay, local ads?

2. macboy4 macrumors regular

You're fine to go ahead and sell. You'll remember that when you filed the rebate claim it was based on the receipt number... they don't use the UPC anymore so it doesn't matter if the person has that or not.

I'm selling one on ebay right now, and I sold one for a friend in June. After shipping and fees I made about $165. It sold for about $195; shows you how ridiculous the fees are.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I sold mine. Filled out the rebate form online, sold the iPod Touch, and currently the rebate check is in the mail according to the Apple website.

4. MB98XJ thread starter macrumors member

MB98XJ

The person I sell to won't be able to get the receipt because its my MacBook Pro receipt which I need to keep. Just thought of this. Hmm.... Any thoughts?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can make a copy of the receipt for them. In the very rare chance they need to use it, all it needs to show is the date the iPod was purchased on. Just blot out any personal info.

Do you live in the US? I didn't think anyone had to cut out UPC codes anymore -- it's all online.

6. JustLikeYou macrumors member

I did this same thing - made a copy of the receipt, but took a black sharpie to my card and other purchased items info for when it's getting sold.

Also aristobrat, if you purchase from an Apple Campus Store instead of the regular store, you have to send in the UPC and receipt in the US.

7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

as long as this person registers the ipod in his name when he connects it to itunes, it shouldnt matter.

8. nigameash macrumors 6502

you can sell it, apple doesnt care if you have the itouch on you at the time of getting back the rebate money! as long as its bought in your name and you have the receipt ;)

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks, I forgot that the campus stores run the same promos as the Apple Retail Stores.