I want to switch my white iPhone 3G for a black one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Motionblurrr, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Sup peeps! :apple: :D

Feels good to own an iPhone again :) (my last one was stolen shamelessly by some douche)

I ended up getting a white 16GB at launch by lining up at the store before it opened and it was an awesome experience (Apple people are really nice, seriously--I'm not even joking you guys are cool as sh**)

However, I've decided I want a black iPhone and that getting a white one wasn't really for me. I love how the white one looks but a black iPhone 3G seems more "me" if you will. I ended up going to the Apple store the other day to check out if they had any 3G docks and I ended up playing with a black iPhone. Damn, I love the darkness of it. It's all one color and I began to second guess my choice :(

I've made up my mind and decided to put up with smudges, scratches, etc--but I think I'd be happier with a black one.

Now, I was wondering on Apple's return policy. I have within 14 days to return the phone, yes? I get that part but the restocking fee is what I'm wondering about.

Since they've opened the box in the store is there even a restocking fee? I want to buy a 16GB black iPhone so there won't be a price difference whatsoever so I don't think that would be a problem. I just don't want to go to a Apple store and get shot down.

Yes yes and I've called the local stores and no one has been picking up the phone, I'm assuming it's been crazy busy the past few days.

Is there anyone here with a successful swap of a non-defective iPhone? Mine is in great condition and I've put a screen protector so the front is fresh too.

Sorry for the bricks of text for one simple question but I was trying to avoid the "ZOMG HELPZ ME PLS!!! I FOUND A SCRATCH ON THE VOLUME KEY w/ MICROSCOPE I WANNA RETURNN IT!!!!" stuff.

Thanks in advance! :eek:

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I've heard some people actually walk into the store and swap their black iPhone for a white one and vise versa, no questions asked.

But i know for a fact you can return your iPhone with a 10% restocking fee and get the new one.

3. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

I'm in the same boat. Got a white 16gb as it was the last one they had but I REALLY want a black one. Except i got mines at the AT&T store and they told me 30 days. My problem isn't really the restocking fee, its just that I hope they actually get them IN STOCK by that time

4. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn. I see that some people are returning ones with microscopic scratches for a brand new sealed one too. :( I just want a different color and it's in perfect condition

I don't want to end up lying to an employee stating that the screen is tinted yellow or some BS like that, since they've helped me in good manner at launch

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You can look at my pictures of both my iPhones in my sig to help you decide. (Takes a bit to load)

6. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I saw them (nice pics too!)

I was just saying in general people are returning iphone's for the most ridiculous things yet I hope that people that just want to switch the color up don't get the shaft if you know what I mean

I mean, I'm pretty sure if I bought it at an AT&T store they'd end up being a little heated for me to switch for another color. I'm glad I went to an Apple store because they seem nicer

I just can't get any info on whether there will be a restocking fee or not but my local Apple stores haven't been picking up their phones and it's understandable

:( I just want to join the dark side hahah:apple:

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

8. patrick92260 macrumors member

If you bought your iphone at apple, they will swap it with no restock fee and as long as the new one you want is in stock. I exchanged my black 16gb for a white 16gb with no problems at my apple store yesterday.

9. iPaul macrumors regular

You can exchange at Apple store with no restocking fee. The key is finding an Apple store that has a 16 gig black.

10. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I'd suggest going really early and being first, if it means alot to you.

11. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you guys for the input

does it matter which apple store I bought it from? there is an apple store the same distance from the one I bought it from that will have it in stock tomorrow morning

ah, so no restocking fee! I guessed it since they opened the box in the store themselves to activate it!

12. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I'm pretty sure you don't have to go to the same exact store, try having your receipt, probably won't need that either though.

13. cenetti macrumors 6502

I think black one looks zuper cool, its black all over...

white, hmm...looks like oreo cookie or sumthing. White/black...that's a no go!

But i'd love to get a red/black one.... now that'd be hot damn...:D

14. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you!

I'll give tomorrow a shot. It says my local apple store will only have the 8gb and 18gb black in stock. I get off of work at 12pm so I'm planning on stopping by after that. I doubt it'll work but it's worth a shot right?

I want an evil iPhone so bad :(

BTW, that red/black idea is actually pretty damn good. Dark navy blue would look fantastic as well

15. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

That's just wrong....

Well you already have a good working iPhone but now you want to change the color when there is not enough phones for people who want them right now.

That's not really fair to the people that will be waiting for a phone tomorrow is it? So you'll go in and take another phone and then return your used phone that is working just fine but they can't even resell to someone who will be sadly waiting probably hours in the line.

That's really selfish. Why not wait until the demand is satisfied before taking a phone from another buyer.

Besides you need to look closer into the beauty of the white black iPhone.

Look to the cookie. Look to the cookie. (Seinfeld)
    :D

16. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

DURRRRRRR DURRRRRRRR I camped out for the iPhone on launch day too and I will have to stand in line to get it exchanged too DURRRRRRRRR DURRRRRRRR

17. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

aaaaaaaaaaaand still yet I don't have a black 16GB :( I'm running out of time too since I bought my white one at launch.

These black ones are hard to find :mad:

18. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

19. ijoe13 macrumors newbie

Whaaaa whaaa whaaa....:rolleyes:

Be happy you even have a 3G... I still haven't been able to find one. So give people who don't have an oppertunity to buy one before you exchange yours for a different color;) Which is not exactly a life and death issue!

20. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

The replacements are not coming out of the inventory that they sell.
    They keep extra phones for replacements.

21. MathiasMag macrumors member

But not being able to buy one is? Not replacing now for what you really want means living with something else through the contract because some people would die if they couldn't buy one this week. (I'm still waiting to get one, but I still think people should replace theirs if they want to)

Does that mean that all stores has some even after they have sold out in case someone needs a replacement?

22. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Dang, should have bought the black...

So, I am now in the same boat. URGH!!!! I really want the black one now.

And the hunt begins....

23. jakeacc macrumors regular

If your biggest problem is trying to RETURN an iPhone for ANOTHER iPhone, consider yourself lucky. A lot of us here have been trying to get ANY iPhone since July 11th.

24. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

For anyone here who wants to trade their white 3g for a blackone, email me at spamdumpster@gmail.com. $299 + $175 termination fee equals = $474. Perhaps we can work something out.

25. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

just returned my black one for a white one and now the white one has a problem, the bezel doesent line up good with the back plastic.