I want to to upgrade my JB 3gs to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macswitcha2, Dec 7, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I can do this using Radio Shack's promotion of trading in your previous iPhone 3gs for an iPhone 4 and get it for at least as $20. I know I have to restore it before doing so so let me get this right, I used Tiny Umbrella to saved the SHSH of iPhone 4.0. 4.01, and 4.1, and currently the iPhone is at 4.0.1 so if I restore it it will restore it to the current version. So if I get the iPhone 4, am i still able to JB it?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, SHSH's are unique to each phone.
    You cant use another phones shsh's to restore or downgrade.
    If the i4 comes with 4.1 you'd be able to JB untethered, if it has 4.2.1 just a tethered JB will be available.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

What the difference between untethered JB and tethered JB?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Tethered Jailbreak: is when a computer or another device (external Harddrive, modChip. etc) is required to inject the Jailbreaking code at boot. So once your iDevice is successfully jailbroken, you'll need to connect your iDevice to your computer if you ever need to reboot your iPhone or your iPhone loses battery charge.

Untethered Jailbreak: Means that the Jailbraking code live somewhere inside the iDevice and it can be invoke at boot without the need of any external device.

you an read more Here: Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A tethered jailbreak means that each time your device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, you must attach it to a PC or Mac to boot.
    With an untethered JB you can restart you phone any time without needing to plug it to a computer and running a program like redsnow.

6. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! Witch is better or preferred?

7. Applejuiced, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Untethered offcourse is preffered but if you have an i4 or a new bootrom 3GS on 3.2.1 you have no option but to have a tethered JB or stay stock and wait for an untethered solution down the road.

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the explanation.

9. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Just FYI, Radioshack will only give you $125 credit for your 3GS.

If yours is in good shape you could sell it elsewhere for much more.

Then you can get the iPhone 4 from Radioshack and still have some extra cash to spare.

10. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was told that I can purchase the iPhone 4 as a current customer for $25 when I trade in my 3gs based on if its in working condition. I don't know how the $125 will apply to current costumers. Where can I read the small print?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can sell a working 3GS for alot more than $125.

12. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

True, but I also have a iPhone 4 and so I can get an iPhone 4 for $25 and JB that and sell it for more than I can get for a 3gs.

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You can only get the pricing for the iPhone 4 from Radio Shack either if you're eligible for an upgrade or adding a new line. If you're currently in the middle of your contract then you won't be able to get the pricing you see advertised.

Assuming you're eligible for the pricing then you can pick up an iPhone 4 16gb for ~$25 when you trade in your 3GS. If you want an 32gb model then you'll be paying about ~$125. You will want to be "careful" when doing this trade in, assuming you go through with it, and try and get them to apply the 3GS trade in towards the purchase of the iPhone 4. What they're supposed to do is sell you the iPhone 4 at regular price and then give you Radio Shack gift certificates for the amount of your trade in. I was able to have them apply the trade in directly to the purchase however I've heard that others got gift certificates for their trade ins.

You can sell your 3GS either on eBay/craigslist for more but it's up to you if you want to get through the hassle. I recently sold a mint condition 3G for $200 in anticipation of this trade in.