I want to upgrade (eligible) AND add a new line -- how can I order 2 iPhone's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by invisible777, Jun 15, 2010.

1. invisible777 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Hoping for some tips or a workaround here. I successfully added an iPhone 4 to my cart on Apple.com since my existing line is eligible. Now, I want to add a second new line to my account and also give that account an iPhone. Trying to "add a line" to an existing account on Apple.com directs you to a page indicating you need to go to the Apple retail store.

Any workarounds for this? Can I create a new ATT family account and then merge the two accounts?

I'm open to ideas (or a solution!). Thanks!

-invisible777

2. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

On the Apple site, each upgrade has to be done at the individual line level. To add a line, you will have to go to Apple or AT&T. Apple can only add another iPhone, at AT&T they can add any device to the FamilyTalk plan.

So if you really have your head set for a DYI. Yes, you can order a new single line with a single line rate plan. You can also select the FamilyTalk rate plan but as you see that will trigger the "Reserve the second line and go to Apple and compete the add-a-line.

Since your goal is to merge the lines into a single FamilyTalk rate plan you should make sure the new line of service is is the same name as the line you are upgrading.

Once you get both devices, you will be able to call AT&T Customer Care and have the lines merged in to a single FamilyTalk plan.

Dave

4. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, Dave. That new individual plan won't be binded by a new 2 year contract?

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes and it will have the new $325 ETF just like the line you are upgrading. Each line, even if it shares a FamilyTalk rate plan has a contract term if you get a discounted or free device aka a subsidy to lock you into a two-year service commitment.

Why do you think that you would get an iPhone 4 without a two year contract at the $199/$299 full subsidy pricing?

Dave

6. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

No, what I meant was that if I wanted to combine two individual plans into 1 familytalk plan would that be considered terminating 1 of the individual plans' contracts? In other words, if I want to combine 2 individual plans would I have to cancel 1 contract and pay an ETF?