I want to upgrade my firmware pls help - but can't seem to do it!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by netrate, Jan 24, 2010.

1. netrate macrumors member

I have a 1st generation Ipod touch -
    Build 4B1, software version 1.15 , 1B7

I have researched the way to upgrade the firmware by holding down the SHIFT and click RESTORE. This works, but when I click on the file that is "supposedly" for the 1st generation, it says 'this is not the right version'.
    All I really want is to use Skype with the touch. I know I need to buy a microphone for it, but upgrading the firmware to 3.0 or even 2.2 is the next step, right?

thanks for your patience on this newbie question

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Upgrading iPod touch firmware to 2.0 or 3.1.1 (IIRC) are paid updates - you must buy them through iTunes. If you've downloaded the firmware update outside of iTunes and you're trying to install it without paying, this is probably the source of your problems.

Also, before you go further to request help here if this is what you're trying to do, discussing pirated software is prohibited here.

If not, did you already purchase the firmware update and are having problems updating your iPod touch? You should simply be able to click Update in iTunes to update your iPod, even if you downloaded the firmware earlier and couldn't do it right away. What is the exact error you're seeing?

3. netrate thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks that might be it.
    I guess I have to decide whether it is worth paying for the update for my 1st generation ipod touch. Can I use Skype with it? Is there a mic I can buy that is decent at a good price? Is this more of a hassle than it is worth (I am going to use the phone sparingly with Skype, it is not my main phone).

4. netrate thread starter macrumors member

Also, can I download apps without entering in credit card info?

5. kunal123 macrumors member

You will not be able to use a microphone with the 1st gen ipod.
    Sorry.:(

6. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Not entirely true. Please see my thread on how to install microphone apps made for the iPhone and iPod Touch 2G+ onto your 1G iPod Touch (NOT a piracy tutorial; the instructions I wrote work for legitimately paid-for apps from the App Store only). There are also links that I have scattered throughout that post that go to other posts on another forum where this topic is discussed more in-depth (some people discovered that you can use, probably among others, a MacAlly iVoice III dock-connector microphone with your iPod Touch 1G, and microphone-aware apps can use it as of iPhone OS 2.2; thanks, Apple!).

-- Nathan

7. kunal123 macrumors member

I guess I stand corrected.:eek:

8. netrate thread starter macrumors member

Is the MacAlly iVoice III the only option to use? Is there a cheaper mic out there I could test this out on?

thanks for the replies, much appreciated you folks are geniuses!

9. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I assume that because it used to not work, and then all of a sudden started working as of OS 2.2, that Apple enabled all "Made for iPod"-certified dock-connector microphones to work with all generations of iPod Touch. However, as far as I know, the MacAlly iVoice III is the only one that has been confirmed tested and working by the community (I personally have used it, and it does work).

So, if you want to err on the side of safety, just get a second-hand iVoice III off of eBay or something. I don't even think they make them anymore, so eBay is probably close to being your only option anyway.

Good luck,

-- Nathan