I want to use CCC and have 1TB Fusion and 1.5TB External (help)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 24, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So, like the title states I've got a 1TB Fusion drive and want to set my 1.5TB external hard drive to do monthly clones.

I have a question though...since I've got a little bit extra space at 1.5TB would it be ok if I made a partition so I could use some of that extra space to store some video?

If so, how do I partition on Mac? And how many GB's do you guys think I should partition separately? I want to leave enough room for the CCC backup of my 1TB Fusion.

Thanks!!

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You could. To partition, use Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities). The advantage of having extra space is that CCC will not have to delete old backups to make space.

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I see what you're saying still though don't really care for extra space for old backups only want whats current.

How would you recommend I partition the drive leave about how much space for the backup? Do just 500GB separate? Or should I do something like only 400GB to be safe?

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Leave 400. It's possible that 500 will make the size slightly less than that of your internal.

5. bobright, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

bobright thread starter macrumors 601

You mean from the 1.5TB though I know it isnt really that and slightly less, partition 400GB separate so I can use?

I think I got it sorry for all the questions its just this is all new to me.

Ughh realize its Christmas but before I head out for vacation hoping someone can help me with this. I want to get a back up plan and finally settled in. :(

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I think he means make two partitions on your 1.5TB external - one at 1.1 TB and the other at 400 GB. This will give CCC some play-room to move files around and to keep a couple months of backups before it needs to delete old versions. CCC will just back up what's changed, not all files each month. I use both Thunderboldt and CCC with different external disks each. Cal me paranoid but I like having two different software solutions.

7. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thank you I have one more question.

I formatted the External for backup as stated by CCC to GUID Partition Table and set it to Mac OS Extended Journal. Do I do the same for the partition as well? I'm not sure if they both have to be the same as I'll use the other partition just for storing some video?!

8. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

That's right. If you want your CCC clone to be bootable then it needs to be GUID partitioned. If the other partition is to just be readable then Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is fine.

9. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Nice I'm up and running now...even verified the boot via Startup Disk did run a bit slow but read that its normal on first boot.

If I want to do incremental manual backups monthly, do I just run the same steps again? And it'll delete whatever was deleted/added from the source I did check that option?!

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Google for detailed instructions but you can set it for "incremental backups" where it only backs up what has changed since your last connection. You can also set it to back up as soon as it detects your external - can save yet another step.