I want to view attachments in the order I place them in Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SoulMeija, May 15, 2011.

1. SoulMeija macrumors newbie

I have a client who has just started using the Mail app. When he drags pictures into the email they show up in the order he places them, but the actual attachments box scrambles their order. This is a fashion company, so when he sends 5 pictures to someone he wants those attachments to be in order so he can discuss them - the pictures display in order, but the actual attachments are not.

Any suggestions?

I've already install WideMail & Attachement Tamer to make his life easier. He was using Entourage 2008 originally - functionality was there, but rebuilding that damn database all the time was killing him. We move to Outlook 2011 recently but that program is crap right now - wont let him sync with iCal so his iphone cannot sync. BUT, both of those programs displayed his pictures & attachments in the same order they we placed into the email

Thanks Everyone in advance!

-SM

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! Email is not a PDF or Word file. How a message is displayed depends on the recipient's email client. The sender's client has very little control. The one exception is HTML mail. Even with HTML mail, however, how the message is rendered depends on how the recipient's client is setup to handle HTML mail.

People who don't understand how email works often pull-out a lot of hair trying to tweak their messages' formatting. This is a waste of time if you don't have an application designed to publish HTML messages.

If you read your message correctly, then you are asking for something for which I have never heard of someone before trying to control. Where a attachment is appears in a file list is irrelevant.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Even if you sent them all in sequential e-mails it wouldn't necessarily work, depending on how the recipient chooses to sort their e-mail.

Basically, you cannot do anything to guarantee what order the images appear in. You could give them hints like a sequential numbering scheme (Picture_1, Picture_2...), or you could send them a PDF document with the pictures on different pages and attach the single PDF. That's about it.