I want to want to buy an iPhone.... help!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2A Batterie, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

My contract with T-Mobile is finally up, and as a serious Mac user I'd like to finally purchase an iPhone. However, I've had the chance to test drive a BlackBerry Storm for the past month and I'm afraid that I may just have to buy one instead of an iPhone. Above all, the tethering feature on the Storm is what makes the decision the hardest. I travel frequently and when I do stay in one location for a month or two, it's often without a wireless connection. Have a device that I can use for internet has saved me so much time and wasted gas and driving to a coffee shop to get WiFi. Does anyone have any suggestions around this?

I also love to be constantly connected to my email. I instantly receive emails on my Storm, but I heard that the iPhone doesn't use an email push system and that constantly checking my emails will drain the battery quickly. Is this true?

Things like VZNav (turn by turn directions) and being able to compose emails in landscape are also things I like about the Storm. My gut is telling me not to buy a Storm (the media interface on it SUCKS) but I'm having a hard time rationalizing how I could give up the thing I love on the Storm I'm currently using. Any suggestions???

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

The push thing is a lie. It will not drain your battery fast, and even on my iPod touch, I receive my emails consistently, sometimes faster than my Macbook, considering the service used (gmail, yahoo, et cetera).

The tethering thing is unfortunate, but think of it this way: Just because you're a Mac user doesn't mean you have to be an iPhone. They're just phones, and the iPhone has a lot going for it, but don't compromise what you absolutely need simply because it was made by Apple.

Edit: If it makes any difference, typing on the storm is TERRIBLE, so the landscape mode isn't really gonna help :p

I personally find it easier to type in Portrait (I can't use landscape typing AT ALL), but that doesn't have any impact on what's easier for you, just saying.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If you use the storm and verizon features that much then it sounds like its a perfect match. I say if the storm works for you stick with it. You may consider keeping the storm and adding an ipod touch to your gizmo inventory.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

The iPod touch thing is also a good recommendation.

Hey, let me say something, though. If you find, playing with it, it really works, then go for it, but I'd recommend one of the other Blackberries. I don't like the Storm at all, but RIM makes really really good phones otherwise. That's just my opinion, but the Bold and the Curve (my uncle has one and he's an entrepreneur).

5. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I actually prefer typing on the Storm. It took some getting used to, but I'm pretty handy on it now. I did try out my Dad's iPhone and the browsing experience is way better than on the Storm. Grr.... just can't get away from the tethering thing! I want to simplify and not have to carry around a gps and an iPod and a phone. Like I said, iPod/iTunes is way better in terms of interface and I even think the iPhone sounds better than the Storm (it always hiccups during playback).

I do know that Verizon allows a 30 day trial period on both their network and the device. Does At&t offer something similar? I may just try that out.

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I have no clue. They may, but somehow I doubt they'd do it on the iPhone, because they're retentive pricks.

Anyways, if you prefer typing on the storm, then go for it. Best to get what you need before you get what you want.

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Sigh.... that's what I hate about the iPhone. AT&T. In my opinion, Verizon Wireless is so much better in terms of support as well as service.

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

i do think you have the first month to cancel and get your dollars back.

9. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I've never had Verizon, but I'm quite inclined to agree with you. If I didn't want the iPhone so badly, I would most certainly not be going to AT&T.

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

It seems the storm does most of what you actually need (business use) but is lacking in the media section. If you want beauty over functionality, get the iphone.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Always surprised to hear about how good Verizon is....here in Texas
    AT&T is way better.

12. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

I completely agree.

13. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I honestly hate to burst your RIM loving bubble but you can actually teather the iPhone. All you have to do is jailbreak it. Google for more info.

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Guess what? The iPhone does everything you need.

1) The iPhone supports push e-mail via Exchange ActiveSync. (It also supports it via Yahoo, but that implementation sucks eggs, so I won't acknowledge it as "push e-mail"...) I use this every day (30+ e-mails a day), and have no problems with battery life.

2) The iPhone can be used for tethering. You'll have to jailbreak (which does not, as some people claim, void the warranty) and download an application -- but it works and it won't cost you extra. AT&T may get pissy if they catch you, but it's certainly possible (from a technical standpoint.)

3) Don't judge the iPhone's keyboard until you've used it daily for at least a week. It took me a while to get used to it, but I'm every bit as fast on it as I was on a traditional BB keyboard.

4) The iPhone has the best mobile browser out there, hands down. Android's is close in terms of rendering output, but the user experience blows.

5) The App Store is wonderful. There's a massive number of apps out there, and the combination of the ease of installation and the additional functionality provided by the applications is virtually unmatched.

6) If you ever travel outside of the US, a Verizon phone is useless. The rest of the world uses GSM. True, you'll need to install additional software to unlock the iPhone, but at least it won't become a brick as soon as you travel outside of the country...

Just my $0.14127 -- ultimately, use whichever phone you enjoy most.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the iPhone has that same 30 day trial period
    and tethering IS coming. they've said so
    plus you can just jailbreak (its easy to do and easy to undo) and install the tethering app from cydia (it used to be on the appstore but got removed) and then you dont have to ay $30 a month for a tethering plan

in regards to email, it works just fine, although the actual mail program is lacking in some features
    i suggest getting mobile me if you can (im not sure if you use a specific email address for work or something)
    you can also look into some 3rd party mail apps for things such as landscape typing and others

16. hhlee macrumors 6502

get both for 30 days each and try them. i actually had an iphone 2g for about 8 months, then tried the tmo g1 for all of 3 days before i realized that while it had a lot great features, it wasn't as good as the iphone for what i wanted.

it all depends on what you find yourself needing the most.

17. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Just a few corrections, although I'm certainly not trying to start a flame war. Remember my allegiance is to Apple, which is exactly why I want to want an iPhone.

I do travel internationally, but not that frequently. Still, the Storm works on both CDMA and GSM networks.

I actually hated the push button keyboards, but I actually like typing on the Storm. I'm much quicker and don't fat finger (push two at once) keys anymore.

What exactly is the app for tethering? How likely is it that ATT will catch me? The Storm has Rev. A tethering (which is supposed to be faster than DSL or something like that) and I use it to tether everyday for about an hour. Will this be a problem with the iPhone?

I really want an iPhone.... but I'm just trying to get over a few hurdles. I still have the Storm but have to return it in a few days. If a legit tethering app came out today for the iPhone, I'd be in the Apple store immediately.

18. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

For that tethering bit, in the UK, we have 3g modems for macs and pcs for about £30, with 1GB included on pay as you go, once you've used all that allowance then you can just pop your iPhone sim in.