I wanted a 4.7" iPhone 6 but....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjperformance, Sep 9, 2014.

1. sjperformance macrumors 6502

I have always sworn a 5.5" iPhone would be just too big. I had my mine set up in getting the 4.7" iPhone 6, but after today I've changed my mind. Is it me or is the i6 plus the better phone to get? I mean you get better resolution. Better battery. And landscape mode. Plus considering apple has integrated a setting that will ease one hand use on these big screens. I never thought the 5.5" existed but it does...and I have changed my mind and plan to get that instead. Are any of you on the same boat? In my opinion for $100 more the better phone is the 6 plus.

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It does have the better features but I just can't do it. I see people walking around with Galaxy Notes and it just looks silly and stupid to me. I can't bring myself to get a phone that big. I think 4.7" is the sweet spot. I just hope in the future apple could minimize that top and bottom bezel, I'm sure they can make touchid a little smaller. because even the 4.7" is a little tall.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OP, you will be far from the only one.

There's a ton of people here who imagine the 5.5" is gargantuan- the "why don't you just get an iPad Mini?" crowd and similar. All it takes is a tape measure, pen, paper and some scissors to scientifically shift from imagination to reality. In hand, a 5.5" is only 1cm wider and only 2cm taller than a 4.7"… but it comes with a .8" bigger screen and several other benefits.

Pre-launch, there were polls that implied the split would be about 70:30 favoring the 4.7". However, once people can actually see both sizes, I suspect that's going to shift. "We" are much accustomed to 4", so 4.7" is huge and 5.5" is beyond huge. But we're only accustomed to 4" because Apple hung there for so long. There's a world of people who have been exposed to phones bigger than 6". From their perspective, 5.5" will seem small and 4.7" may seem too small. Our perspectives will evolve now that Apple has endorsed 2 new "perfect" sizes and especially after they are in stores where they can be held in our own hands.

I suspect there will be a lot of "but then I got to see one" and "it's kind of growing on me" posts & threads over the next few days & weeks.

4. bobright macrumors 601

Aren't Galaxy's around 4.8"? Or maybe that was an old gen but I agree anything bigger than this would look hideous, felt that way before the announcement and the picture of the 6 plus in hand just confirmed it for me.

5. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

The 5.5 inch is technically the better buy, given that you get better features, better resolution, and more real estate for an extra hundred.

But, it is a big phone, and that is a difference maker in some. Is a phone a "phone" to you, or is it a pocket computer? If you decide that, it might make it easier to justify the 4.7 or 5.5.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Dead trigger two is going to look awesome on that 5.5 screen at 1080.

7. bobright macrumors 601

It'll look even better in the new iPad Air's coming out early next year.:)

8. sjperformance thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted a 4.7" iPhone 6 but....

Dammit the decision is tough now. Just had a mental thought...talking on the phone holding the 5.5 i6+ next to my ear...yikes!!