Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Hi guys,

I wanted to find an unopened 2g iphone to keep for posterity and I finally found a seller who claimed to have a new in box iphone never unwrapped.

When the phone arrived the first thing I noticed was that the box was white and unmarked instead of the usual black with the iphone picture. It was also torn in one corner.

The unit and accessories appear totally new and still wrapped albeit the wrapping put on a bit unevenly.

On the back of the white box is a black sticker that reads iPhone 4GB Demo followed by the usual serial numbers and IMEI as found on every iphone. Thankfully the numbers do match the ones printed on the actual handset.

As I said I wanted to get this to hold for the future and not to use. So my question is , is this something I should be happy with or should I continue to search for an unoponed non demo phone.
It does seem weird that this demo unit was never used.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
send it back. It wasn't what was advertised. Your goal was to have an unopened collectible iphone and the one you got is neither.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
send it back. It wasn't what was advertised. Your goal was to have an unopened collectible iphone and the one you got is neither.

The phone seems unopened and still with the original wrapping. Will it being a demo make it less collectible or more? Where the demo iphones fully functional?
Because if they were then wouldn't they be much rarer to find in new condition than a regular iphone. I'm trying to see how this will look to someone in 60 years.
I also got it cheaper than what they sell the refurbished phones for. I don't know what an absolutely new sealed in ithe box phone goes for as I haven't found one.

Thanks for your replies and I hope to get more.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It's hard to say. The Demo units are more rare, but plentiful enough to not really be that collectible. I would try to get a retail box. The whole purpose is to connect with peoples nostalgia towards the original iPhone. A retail box is what they picked up on launch day.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
It's hard to say. The Demo units are more rare, but plentiful enough to not really be that collectible. I would try to get a retail box. The whole purpose is to connect with peoples nostalgia towards the original iPhone. A retail box is what they picked up on launch day.

That is a good point. Though I think that unused demo units will be very rare you make a good point about the nostalgia towards the retail box. Alas I haven't found a sealed box.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
you sure its not a AT&T refurb? they come in plain white boxes...

It has a very applesque sticker that says it is a demo. It is a very convincing sticker.
I wonder if there is a way to check if the IMEI has ever been activated with a carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.