i wantt o clean up my apps, will it save parts that are needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by muck, Jan 19, 2009.

1. muck macrumors newbie

i picked up a used G4 desktop from my father. He has a bunch of photo and video editing software on it. I see some of the software is older versions of new that is also on it.
    If i delete the older apps, will the parts of the programs needed for the new apps stay? The newer apps were purchased as upgrades from the old. My dad thought he had to keep the old apps on there also for the new ones to work.
    I am specifically looking at all the adobe photoshop versions and final cut pro versions on it.

thanks Matt

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have folders/Applications like

Adobe Photoshop CS 1
    Adobe Photoshop CS 2
    Adobe Photoshop CS 4

in your Applications folder, it is save to delete the folders/applications you won't use anymore. But if you wanna save some plug-ins or actions made with that specific version, you should copy them first, as they are not saved in the Library under Application Support.

With Final Cut it should be the same, as all the filters and whatevers are stored within the application package. Only templates and other stuff are stored in the Library under Application Support, which can be deleted, if it is there twice.

3. muck thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i will give it a shot and probably get an opprotunity to use Time Machine too.. LOL