I was amazed by the iPad 3 specs, but comparing it to a games device is ridiculous.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doktordoris, Mar 7, 2012.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Tim Cook waffled on about how an iPad3 can be a games device. what rubbish. People who want to play games on the move own a PS Vista. I don't care how great the retina screen is for games (I own one on my iPod touch and for everything else it is amazing). But for games? No thanks. Games devices need joysticks, preferably 2 of them. Virtual joypads are always dreadful. I own loads of apple stuff, and love apple. But the iPad3 as a games device? don't make me laugh

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

You've obviously never played Real Racing HD. I bet it'll look ridic. on the iPad HD.

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'd play a game on the ipad MUCH before I'd play it on the tiny PSVita screen. I do agree about the input, but I've used those rubber sticky joysticks on the ipad and they are actually pretty decent.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think it was more of a comment toward the graphics quality. You have to give Apple* some credit, some of the games out nowadays have fairly comparable graphics when put up against a PS3 or Xbox 360, which is pretty impressive when considering its size and multitude of other uses.

But I agree, until Apple comes up with some type of controller (or a third party does), there's just no comparison.

It's fun though, and I think that's what matters most.

*And by Apple, I mean the game developers, as well as Imagination Technologies for their PowerVR graphics chips

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

Is this one of those threads where games on the iPad don't count as 'real' games because they're iPad games?

6. littleebo356 macrumors member

they said something just as daft at the first keynote after game centre was released, saying "more users now than xbox live", maybe so but its no where near the standard of xbox live.

if i want a to play games on the go id get a psvita or a nintendo ds, not an iPad.

7. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Yeah I totally disagree. It has compatibility with all iOS titles (although non-retina iPhone games are going to look a bit pathetic), and iOS is a big player in the mobile gaming space.

Some of the iPad games I regularly play:
    FIFA 12
    Sid Meier's Pirates
    Geometry wars
    Civilisation Revolution
    Shadowgun
    Scrabble
    Words with Friends
    Air Hockey
    Flight Control
    Chess
    Monopoly
    Trainyard

All of them work perfectly for the iPad's form factor, especially against people (e.g. chess). I'm sure there are plenty others.

On top of that, I sometimes play some iPhone-only games scaled up. They typically work fine. It's probably more of a competitor to Nintendo's handhelds than Sony's, given the style of the games it has, but so what?

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its an excellent convergence device that's either decent or excellent at gaming depending on what kinds of games you like.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It's also about convenience. Do I want to buy a $250 device AND CARRY it everywhere to play games or do I want to enjoy great games on the device I already own/carry (for other purposes)?

Kind of like people say "the best camera is the one you have with you" I would say the best gaming platform is the one you have with you too!

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

It isn't a gaming device because it isn't good for FPSer? I use my xbox360 for them. Games on a touch screen are different. It has great games that dont require a joystick. If COD is the only game you play, you're a sad man.

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't know much about the PSVita, I have a PSP collecting dust in a drawer somewhere but I never used it much. Can you output the PSVita to a big screen? That's one of the features that I like about the ipad, now if just someone would come up with a nice bluetooth joystick for it.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

Hardware gamers would probably want Vita but casual gamers do not care about Vita at all.

The iPad is a gaming device regardless if you disagree with that. Apple didn't say that it's a hardcore gaming device, just a simple gaming device that works well enough for most casual gamers.

Cut the Rope works better on iPad than it does on Vita. Angry Birds is one the most popular games on the market and it got popularized from the iPad gamers.

13. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

While I agree that the claims of iPad's dominance in the gaming genre are a bit exaggerated, the hardcore gamers need to get over the fact that casual gaming is immensely popular and will eclipse PC and Console games if it hasn't already. Companies like Zynga aren't raking in billions because users hate their games.

As much as people want to talk about how Apple has an elitist attitude, it is really the hardcore gamers that are being snobby about the obvious revolution in gaming that is taking place.

We can debate about the quality of games (which typically boils down to personal preference), but at the end of the day, the iPod Touch alone will mop the floor with the Vita in units sold and games sold. Add iPhone and iPad in there and they are competing with the Xboxes of the world easily.

Long-story-short, stop whining about iOS gaming and play whatever you like.

14. kcsr macrumors member

90% of what my wife does on the iPad2 is gaming, so I think you're wrong about the iPad 3 not being a gaming device. :p

15. doktordoris, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hmm. I don't wish to sound like an elitist tit, but from my experience virtual joypds are always rubbish. Don't get me wrong I love my iPad. But to compare it to a device designed to be good for games sees a bit daft.

And I understand that most people, unlike me, just want to play a fun game for 20 mins on the train on the way to work. Fair enough, I don't think they are any less a "real gamer", than someone like me who loves games.

But when Tim said that most people who own a modern console and an iPad think the iPad is a better games machine than their console, I must admit I had my doubts about their research.

16. homeboy macrumors 6502

The iPad is a gaming device like it or not. The accuracy of the steering in Real Racing HD is head and shoulders above many of the plastic wheels I've tried in my life. The only thing missing is physical triggers or buttons. Add that and the iPad will be amazing.

17. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I never said it wasn't a gaming device, as such, just that to market it as a killer games machine seems a bit deceitful.

18. rittchard macrumors 6502

Not deceitful at all. Being a huge gamer myself, I actually game on my iPad 2more than my Vita and 3DS combined. I do love the Vita's control pad, but there are plenty of games that don't need one, and so with the larger screen on the iPad 2 are absolutely fantastic. Not to mention how much cheaper the game prices are. A $1-5 game can often get more gameplay than a full $30-70 premiere console title.

Now granted the majority of iOS games are considered less "hardcore" or less graphics intensive, but then you look at something like Infinity Blade and just get blown away. Plenty of games use the Unreal engine and are as complex/hardcore as you'd like. And of course there are plenty of classics and remakes such as the Final Fantasy series. For adults or casual gamers, there are a huge assortment of games (cards, gambling, word games) and the device has pretty much re-invented the tower defense genre, which actually benefits from a pure touch interface.

19. kcsr macrumors member

I don't think it is deceitful. There's much more to gaming devices than hardware (remember the Neo Geo?). For a successful gaming platform, you also need consumer support/purchases and game developer support. The iPad/iPhone (i.e. iOS platforms) is the single most widely used consumer platform capable of gaming, other than Windows. The top game of 2011 was Angry Birds, and iOS was the most popular platform for the Angry Birds games.

iPad 3-HD has a great display with better resolution than 99.9% of the monitors and TVs sold today.

iPad 3-HD is going to be a killer games machine.

(Disclaimer: I'm a Windows and PS3 fanboy, but I do own an iPad 2 and recently purchased a Macbook Air 13 that I really like)