I was at my local apple store in orlando and yes what I find !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blackmanlovemac, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    So I had to take my iPhone in to get it replace .. So I was leaving and I went to my car and laying their was a Apple Store Gift Card...

I picked it up and it look new and the pen number was not starched off so I new it havnt been used .. To make a long story short, I called the number to see if their was any money and quess what

Somebody had put $3500 on this gift card ... I know who puts that kind of money on a gift card then drop it..

Anyway I don't want to keep it because I don't want to get in trouble what should I do

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You just found someones Mac Pro.

Someone with a conscience would take it back to the store and get them to check their CCTV to see the most likely owner.

Someone without a conscience would buy a new Mac Pro.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Agreed. I'd say take it to the Apple Store and tell them.

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Take it back to the manager, I'm sure he or she can quickly sort it out. The person may have just bought the card there.

5. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I do have a conscience

Went to the Apple Store a hour later after I find it and they looked it up and they told me that the person paid it with cash... So their was know way they could find the owner... Is that true ??? you can put that kind of money on a Apple Gift Card without some kind of ID..

Were I'm from in Spain you have to show a credit card and ID to put that much money on a Apple Card or kind of prepaid item

What should I people !!!!!

6. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I fell bad for that person he or she maybe been saving for months or years now they lost it ... I have to find a way to get it to the right owner

Please help

7. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Bring it to a police station, get a receipt. If noone claims it in 2 months it'll be yours, or if they do you could be entitled to a 10% finder's fee at least.

8. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Just get a brand new Mac Pro, or maybe wait for new MBP.
    My 2 cents

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Unbelievable...

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

A) There wont be a new MBP for 9 months...

B) If the person goes to the police even though the person paid with cash the police could use the stores CCTV to see them dropping it and you picking it up... :rolleyes:

He doesn't live in the US so the police are different.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's great that you're doing the right thing.

I'll echo Beerfloat's advice: take it to your local police station while obtaining a receipt. If it's not claimed within a predetermined time allotment, it may be yours. It would also be considerate if you called the Apple Store, making them aware of the situation, in case they find the customer who lost the card.

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

leave it at the Apple Store. if i was the person who lost it i would retrace my steps and go to the Apple Store and ask there if anyone had found it.

13. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I don't want to bring it to the police you can trust American Police they are bad... The same in my country they are very very bad... One time I find a $20,000 ring and I took it to the police were from and they never tried to find the person..

My father is a police man and they always make people give them money instead of giving a ticket... I bet that happens here in the states

14. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I do live here in Orlando ... I this don't trust the police.. maybe i take it to the apple store .. can I trust them

15. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I would take it back to the apple store. The guy who lost it would probably go back to the apple store before if ever calling the police station.

no offense but did you just learn english?

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're going to trust an Apple Store employee, making barely above minimum wage, over a police officer?

If anything, don't leave it with the Apple Store. Leave your phone number with the manager, and anyone claiming to have lost a giftcard can call you. If you determine it's the rightful owner, you can meet back at the Apple Store to arrange an exchange.

I maintain, however, that going to the police station is the safest and most secure option.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He said that he was from Spain.

blackmanlovemac, do what everyone here is saying.

Except dollystereo. Don't listen to them in the future.

18. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I took 3 month of english why .. You want me to right in spanish or french ... This started talking in english.. I'm doing the best I can Sir

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, no. You're perfectly fine. Ignore people who believe that only intelligent people speak in English.

I wish that you knew German; we could go from there in said language.

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

We just hope the people at the Apple Store will be honest and do the right thing- what if the person comes back- and apple store employees say- no, we didn't find a card...then they get a new MacPro...at a discount even!!!

I would say when you take it back to the apple store you talk to the manager, and several full time employees so everyone knows about the card...you leave your name and I thin if they don't claim it in a month or even less then it should be yours...if someone bought it at the store they will return to the store first...

21. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

I echo the suggestions: police and the apple store. The main issue though is you can't be sure that any claimers are the rightful owner, which is unfortunate if the rightful owner did work very hard to get that.

If you do find yourself in a position where you think you might be getting your chain pulled by someone who didn't buy the card and you have a guilty conscience in keeping it (I would), give the card to charity.

Just my 2 cents but it is up to you what you should do.

22. roski11 macrumors regular

By yourself some headphones for the iphone and then take the card back.

23. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree- donate to charity- not all, but much of it.

Surely the salesperson at the store will remember exactly what a person looks like that puts that amount of cash on a gift card.

Of course, what reason would someone put that amount of cash on a gift card???? I don't see any reason except that that much cash could get stolen easier than a single gift card- but talk about putting all your eggs in one basket...and losing that basket non-the-less!!!

24. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

Karma will get you !

Return it to the manager , Have a guilt free conscience.:D

25. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I this don't understand how here in the states you can have that much cash and walk into a store and buy something like that with out ID..

Maye this is why this country are in hard time, this would never happen were I'm from.. Anyway i will call the apple store and the police and see what they say, then i will go from their.

To everyone sorry for my spelling but I this started talking in full english.. But I very smart I speak French, Spanish and Portuguese