I was away from an iPhone for 2 days, and I missed it dearly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bill Killer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Bill Killer macrumors 6502

So on the 26th, I switched from AT&T to Verizon (and thank god for that). I had a faulty iPhone 4 as well, so the switch came at the perfect time (I'm convinced the touch sensor wasn't entirely working since I would inadvertently click every button while I was making a call).

I didn't really want to upgrade simply from a 4 to a 4s, so I decided, for this upcoming phone, to try an Android.

Bad idea.

I started with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's a great screen, a slick looking phone, and I love the curved screen. And I thought Ice Cream Sandwich was a solid enough operating system. Unfortunately, reception/signal strength was awful and the battery didn't last me 3+ hours. I knew this on day one.

I traded it in for a Motorola Droid Razr. Admittedly a good phone. Nice screen, great reception, excellent speaker.....but it became evident that no matter how good this phone was, I would hate it. And the only reason I hated it is because of the Android operating system.

It's pretty clear that this is a developer's operating system meant for people with the time and energy to customize the hell out of their phones. Personally, I was missing the basics that I had grown accustomed to on my iPhone: unread email/sms counter. Lock screen notifications and popups. ATTRACTIVE FOLDER OPTIONS! In that second day, when I missed a call, I had no idea because the notification wasn't on the icon or on the lock screen. I was late responding to work emails for the same reason. Day 2 made me realize I wouldn't be happy with Android.

So, back to iOS. It took 2 days for me to realize just how good Apple's system really is. I now understand what people mean when they say the system simply works. I'm on the Verizon network with an iPhone 4s (still a significant upgrade over an iPhone 4 on AT&T, so it all worked out).

I'm sorry Steve Jobs. Never again.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

2 days?! Try going 2 months! That was how long I was away from iOS before the 4S came out. As if having an SGS2 for the 2 weeks time I had it wasn't a punishment enough. ;)

3. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

No thank you. Unless Google flat out copies EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THEIR OPERATING SYSTEM, down to the last detail, I'm sticking with Apple for the long haul.

4. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

iOS is so bland I am definitely moving to Android's ICS once my upgrade time comes in 2012.

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I don't understand these 'bland' comments. Seriously what do you need an OS to do other than simply work really well?

You looking for a phone's OS to excite you?

To each their own, some people like to spend hours tinkering and customizing their cars ... most people just want their car to be reliable and give you a comfy ride.... :apple:

6. scaredpoet, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Exactly this. Some people don't have anything productive to do with their phones, so they like to toy and tinker with them. Those tend to be the people who get "bored" with iOS or call it bland.

And then there are those of us who rely on our phones to actually do things, organize actual meetings and contacts, and in general, work properly. And that's generally when you realize that there's nothing "bland" about something that works consistently and reliably... it's just consistent and reliable.

Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE for my life to be so uneventful, and for me not to have any responsibilities, so I can spend all my time rooting whatever Android smartphone is the hot device of the day and loading it with today's custom ROM, or customizing it so it looks pretty but doesn't actually function intuitively. Until that day comes though, I'll gladly stick with iOS.

Oh yeah: back in 2010, I went without any smartphone at all for 8 whole days (3GS was stolen the day before iPhone 4 pre-orders began). In the beginning I didn't think I'd make it. Towards then end though, I was actually quite relaxed.