I was denied a phone at AT&T....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dyn-tec, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Dyn-tec macrumors member

So, maybe this is something I failed to read or mis-interpreted leading up to the release if the iPhone 5s.

So, I checked with both Att and Apple and it said that I was eligible for a partial rebate and my cost would be 449.00.

So, I posted my phone I5 on eBay and got in line at the Att store this morning. (Not like the crazy lines in the big cities).

I ended up waiting about 40 minutes. The associate was friendly and respectful but after typing all my info in he said that I have three options:

1). Buy at full price
    2). By the "Next program" for an extra 27 bucks a month for the next 2yrs...or almost 650 total.
    3). Add a line for 40 more a month or and extra 480 a yr or 960 for the life if the contract.

I asked about my partial discount and he said that is not being honored at any of the stores....only online.

So, I declined the Next program, as that essentially wipes out my partial discount and I was not going to buy at full price or "add a line."

Is this what is happening to others?? Essentially you must have a "full upgrade" status or add a line in order to purchase in store.

I decided since I can't have instant gratification and would have to wait until mid-October to receive the new phone....I am waiting for the iPhone 6 now.

I wouldn't say I am pissed, but disappointed...had to cancel eBay auction, wait in line, and then....nothing.....surely there must be others.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

try another store or call a CSR. the sales people in the stores might be under pressure to get people into NEXT

3. gabriel925fm macrumors member

I didn't have a full discount for my upgrade but had a partial discount. The girl at the Att store said that I didnt have the upgrade and I explain that I wanted to do the early upgrade with partial discount ($250.00) on top of the phone and she went ahead and process my early upgrade without any issues. I was out in 5 min.

4. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

Nice for you!

----------

Calling now, thanks.

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

yep, if you're going to pay $449 minus selling your phone you might as well pony up a little extra cash for the unlocked version

7. jkeating2005 macrumors regular

First of all, that sales associate is pushing hard and just trying to make their quota of the new next program. You should have not been turned down.

However, I would not pony up any extra money for an unlocked version as unlocks are readily available on eBay for ~$5 for AT&T iPhones.

8. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

Called and they said the store is wrong....

I am guessing they're doing this to only sell new phones to new subscribers and add-a-lines.....makes more moola for them.

(Thus making the discounted people buy from Apples supply)

I'm going back to the store now.

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

My line is also eligible for the "partial discount" pricing of $449 (I checked online today). However, when I do decide to place my order, I'm just going to submit it via the AT&T web site. I usually only place my phone orders online anyway, but after what happened to the OP, I am definitely ordering online.

10. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

Ok so here is the wrap up....went back to store explained that I spoke to "corporate" and that they must honor my upgrade.

The good: they agreed And said that the manager must have been "confused."

The bad: they were out of 16gb and 32gb

The ok: I bought the 64gb, probably better in the end.

INSTANT GRATIFICATION COMPLETE!

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

So you got the 64GB for the $649.99 price?

12. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Dude, all of that and you're still out-of-pocket the same amount of loot.

13. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

Yes, they honored the partial upgrade of 449 for a 16gb.....649 for the 64gb.

----------

Yes but with 4x the storage ;)

14. Munky macrumors 6502

So you're saying you accomplished literally nothing.

15. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

I was originally quoted 649.00for the 16gb. They weren't going to honor any of my "partial discount."

I went back and they honored it. I was then able to get the 64gb for 649.00.

Yes, it costed me 649.00, which is what they originally quoted me...but they were quoting me on a 16gb phone....

So, I accomplished what I wanted....a discount off an iphone of my choice.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Congrats on the new phone! I'm not sure why the other folks aren't understanding that at best it was an honest mistake that kept you from buying a phone and at worst it was a bait and switch. I doubt anyone here would go into a store knowing what the something cost and then be told that price isn't available and you'll need to spend X dollars more.

17. HenryDJP macrumors 603

OP you're thread title is misleading. You weren't "denied" a phone, you were just told you weren't getting the discount you expected.

18. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

Well it wasn't misleading when it happened. I wrote the thread after I had been denied and was sitting at home without a phone....

If you read the whole thread...it kind of walks you through what happened.

----------

I guess if you are referring to my use as "denied"....maybe I should have written....."Att store would not honor my upgrade."

I guess I can see where u are coming at with that. But who in there right mind is going to add another line or buy at full price, when u know you don't have too....

19. kevroc macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that the extra amount you spent getting the 64gb versus the 16gb will be recouped when you ebay it or sell it for your next phone. In reality the extra space will only cost you $100 or less.