I *was* excited, but I think AT&T may have killed it for me (the $35 data+text plan)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rogersmj, Jun 9, 2008.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

So I was planning on upgrading my current iPhone come 7/11, because I would find 3G and GPS very useful. But now that the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field has worn off, the big, giant, ugly monster rears its head: AT&T.

With the data plan going up to $30 and no longer including texts ($5 to get 200 text messages), you'll wind up paying $15 more per month ($35) to get the equivalent of the 1st gen iPhone's $20 plan. I'm not sure that's worth it for just 2x Internet speeds.

Part of me says...I make a good living. It's just $15 a month. But the frugal part of me says...$80+ (after taxes/fees) for one phone line? Considering I don't talk on the phone very much, that's pushing my limits. I'd really like 3G and GPS, but...I don't know, I'm torn. F*&^ing AT&T. I've been with them for years, I should have known they'd eventually find a way to kill some of the coolness of the iPhone.

2. Corbet macrumors member

The fact of the matter is AT&T can rape the iPhone customers because they know people will be ok with it. At this point an iPhone plan for me would be $100 a month. Compared to other providers this is outrageous.

At one point will us Apple fanboys say enough is enough? $110 plans? $120 plans? The sky is the limit.

3. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Yep, deal breaker for me as well. Just too much.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I HATE YOU AT&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even know about that extra $5 thing till now!

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

:Dthat means for me (a non current iphone user) I would have to pay $840 extra over what I am paying with at&t now...

and this new iphone costs an extra $360 over the old iphone... I'll go without the $200 subsidy and pay the old rate thank you very much...

seriously, did they think we wouldn't notice the extra $360?!! And at&t reported no longer gives revenues from the plans to apple. more money for at&t so why the hell r they racking up the price!!!!

I say we get a petition going to make the prices stay the same!! :D

6. Dero501 macrumors newbie

I agree with you. I was very excited about the 3G iPhone but am very disappointed right now. I feel like AT&T screwed over a lot of people in this and in turn are going to lose a lot of customers. I have a weird feelings that AT&T is going to change something about the plans but who knows. With the prices of gas, food rising to unheard of levels, accompanied by the diminishing value of the dollar, people aren't going to just throw their credit cards at AT&T without looking at the plans first like many people believe. $75 for a basic plan is ridiculous and AT&T along with apple will eventually see what they have done.

7. bbydon macrumors 6502a

If i did my math right they are only charging $3.30 more a month for a new iphone for 2 years service.

1959 for 2 years old iphone
    2119 for 2 years new iphone with texting

both include price of the iphone

8. seenett macrumors regular

FAN discounts back in play?

It will be about $15 more. Example:

Old iPhone plan = $79.99 = 900 minutes, unlimited data, and 200 texts.

Existing smartphone plans = $94.97 = 900 minutes ($59.99), unlimited data ($29.99), 200 texts ($4.99)

If AT&T is really going to treat the iPhone like every other smartphone, then they should also bring back the corporate (FAN) discounts that were not applicable to iPhone v1. This will take my minute plan down to $47.99, for a total monthly cost of $82.97 ($3 more than the old iPhone plan). This is what I currently pay for my Blackberry service.

9. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Me too !! Forget it.....Looking towards Verizon...

10. joekun macrumors regular

I've been waiting since early March (when my sprint contract expired) to get the 3G iphone. I was really hyped up and excited, but now I'm just mad. $30 is more than I pay for my DSL service at home. It's not that I can't afford it, I can, but when I'm paying $45 + tax (about $52 a month) for TWO phones on my sprint plan it makes it difficult to justify. I had convinced myself that it would be worth jumping that up to get internet on the go, but now I'm having second thoughts.

11. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

At&t is the sole reason i will not get the iphone. we are doomed.

yes and joe said it right. its almost a home dsl internet service. its awful. i just cannot believe it. screw at&t

i would rather get a motor scooter and save money on gas then spend on an crappy long 2yr contract with asweet phone lacking features that a free phone has. Burn at&t burn, we are doomed

12. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

13. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's a fair point. What it means is that the price cut isn't really a price cut but a modest price increase...although what a great marketing tool to be able to say the new phone is "half the price".

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

yea, if i wanted to get a really expensive iphone i would have already bought one by now. turns out waiting till the price goes down doesn't really help you after all... they just exponentially jack everything else up..

***** at&t.... seriously if they don't change this i will kill someone..

15. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

and if you look on yahoo and other sites they are eating it up. that is until they do some research and see the truth. this sucks.

16. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Interesting...

So if they are charging you like it's a "regular" data plan, instead of a "special" iPhone plan, then they should also apply discounts as though it were a "regular" data plan... Something to look into...

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

no actually its $6.66 more per month.... THE DEVILS NUMBER!! coincodence??? I'll let you decide...;)

18. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Damn you are right! i forgot the activation fee!

spooky

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Same here. I will keep my current iPhone. GPS and 3G isn't worth an extra $15/month.

20. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Wonder what it will be if you have the unlimited family texting plan????

I knew before today that At&T was going to raise their prices for 3G that is just common sense....I have friends that have been paying that extra cost so why not the iphone....

I thought about switching today also but now thinking twice...

Its not going to be that much faster...If we all slow down a bit you will see that....GPS will be great but how often are you going to use it?????

If you dont have an Iphone already its a great price and rates were bound to go up eventually. 3G just gives them the excuse...

What will be interesting is wether the poeple with org iphones will be able to keep the same plan cost as time goes on

21. Corbet macrumors member

I love the fact that AT&T won't let you apply employee discounts to the iPhone. They've never really said why. Really there is no difference between an iPhone and the other phones. They all make calls, use the same tech, ect.

It sucks.

22. nabwong macrumors regular

Don't know about you guys but suddenly the Meizu M8 appears more and more appealing. Damn you AT&T.

23. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Lets look at the actual math:

Old iphone:
    $20 a month unlimited internet access times 2yrs = $480
    That includes 200 text messages for free.

new iphone:
    $30 a month unlimited internet access times 2yrs = $720
    $5 a month for 200 text messages since its not free = $120
    $36 activation fee = $36
    No dock included will prob cost $49
    Extra $2 a month minimum for taxes on the $15 = $48

Total for new iphone for 2 yrs - $199 for cost of phone = $744
    Total for old iphone = $480

Difference of $264 or $11 a month more for the new iphone. So the new iphone really costs you $464 for an 8gb model.

Ofcourse this is not including the voice plans but just showing the difference in data costs here.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So I should run and get the last 16GB phone is what your saying? :lol: (Not joking).