I was gonna buy leopard with my christmas money... but after serveral thoughts I

Discussion in 'macOS' started by togermano, Dec 27, 2007.

1. togermano macrumors regular

decided not too....

I just bought the mac in september and after looking at the features and playing around with it at the apple store.. I decided I won't be shelling out the 125 dollars for it. I mainly wanted it because it probly would have better intel and duel core support.... But after playing around with it at the apple store I didn't notice a difference in speed... It seems like leopard is basically windows 98 compared to 95... Just updated apps and a slightly different new look with alittle more bloat to go with it. Anyone else agree with this?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

September?

Are you sure you don't qualify for this?

3. togermano thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Online Store on or after October 1, 2007

saddly no then :( SHould i try to do it anyways? lol

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm surprised that you didn't try.

I've seen members with August purchases get lucky.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

No, i don't agree with that at all :eek: I'm just waiting for all the tasty core-animation apps...

6. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

According to that site:

"Customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer or an Apple Certified Refurbished computer from the Apple Online Store on or after October 1, 2007 that does not have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard included can upgrade to Leopard."

I bought mine in September too... I was kinda ticked, haha.

7. togermano thread starter macrumors regular

plus with some apps and games not working with leopard yet thats another problem i didn't buy it

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Leopard is leaps and bounds faster on my Mac Pro. It's a big difference that I noticed RIGHT away. It's the downgraded Spotlight and the Disappointing stacks that make it not as easy to use. Other than a few things, I think it's overall better than Tiger and I'm sure Apple will fix the quirks in future updates... it's already been said that they're modifying stacks to bring the old hierarchy view back.

9. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Nope

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There are two things that I don't like about Leopard.

1. CUPS browsing is no longer enabled by default :confused:
    2. Non-admin users can no longer add printers.

That is all.

11. macDonalds macrumors 6502

There is definitely a speed increase. And the addition of Spaces and Time Machine are worthy enough for the upgrade.

12. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Actually, under the hood Leopard is probably the biggest change since 10.0, so no, it's not like Win95 vs 98 :rolleyes: There's been some fairly major changes and at least one highly respected developer I know of (Rixstep) consider Leopard to be essentially a new platform.

Stick with Tiger if you're comfortable, but there are already applications that only offer their full feature set when running on Leopard, so there is going to come a time that you're going to get left behind.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I remember there were quite a few people, back in Jun, claimed leopard would be so much faster than Tiger, lol, Guess not...

anyway, you can get leopard for $109 at newegg.com, or amazon, or jr.com. etc..

14. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yes, I do. I've heard too many bad things about Leopard (bugs etc.), the new features make the user interface inconsistent and hard to use (and Time Machine is just a half-assed backup solution). I'll stick to OS X 10.4.

15. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

As for spaces: Desktop Manager is a very nice freeware tool that has been out there forever. You really don't need spaces.

16. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Leopard is a 64 bit OS and IS faster then Tiger on newer machines. But if Tiger is working for you, and you are happy, then there is no need to move to Leopard. So wait.

17. unity macrumors 6502a

I decided to not buy a Porsche, does that mean I start a thread about it? No.

My point is: so what? Thats ok that you decided not to, you have your reasons so lets move on.

I myself often said that Leopard is not a NEED, its a WANT. There is no need to upgrade for most people, but most people want it.

As for bugs. I would like the OP to point out some that would directly affect him/her. I myself had not come across one bug yet. While they may be there, not all have and HP printer over a wireless VPN with a Cisco 5620 router. Not all bugs affect everyone.

I did not need it, but I am happy I upgraded. I have it on my new iMac and purchased a copy for my 1.25Ghz G4 Titanium Powerbook. It "feels" faster than Tiger and Spotlight is not a great App launcher since its finally snappy. I dont use spaces and likely never will - but I said that about Expose and use that ALL the time now. Time Machine works REALLY well but is not meant to be used daily, its JUST a back-up solution. If you have to use it so much that it bugs you, well then you have other problems. Stacks suck, but they are growing on me. The new "list" feature of stacks will be much welcome, but it will not be my default. Networking is working well.

So I did not need it, but I am glad to have it. I have other friends that asked me about it, and the ones I felt did not need it I told them so.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't agree either. There really isn't any Bloat. I do understand not paying for it if you don't have that much money. Go spend it on other video games or something. The OS isn't that big of a deal.

19. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

FWIW, I bought a mini in late September (delivery was in October) and still qualified for the up-to-date program. If this applies to you, I'd at least see if you qualify for the up-to-date program

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is a thing called freedom of speech. OP can say whatever he wants, as long as its a civil discussion.

can't always ask other people to behave just like each other.
    I am not sure about that, I guess its all about what your tasks are. most day-2-day users won't feel much about it. and even for CPU intense tasks, that speed difference is based on the assumption that apple makes leopard good enough to be able to take advantages of 64bit cpu. Its a big assumption if you ask me.
    I don't know what you call it, But Tiger requires 3G HDD space. While Leopard asks for 9G, Its a significant "bloat" if you ask me, considering the changes on the surface, as well as under the hood.

21. unity macrumors 6502a

That you are right about. 64 bit does not equate speed, so going from 32 bit to 64 bit is not a speed increase. However, it can address larger amounts of RAM. Was 32 limited to 4GB chunks? I forget.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Tiger had a ton of bugs when it was first released... get over it. Also, Time Machine works WONDERFULLY! It has never failed on me and it's almost worth getting Leopard just because of Time Machine. I love it. The UI is way more consistent than the previous versions of OS X and it's MUCH faster. Why wouldn't that be a reason to upgrade? Also, you can stay on Tiger but, for how long? You'll start to see a lot of Apps being developed that say "Leopard Only" because of the "under the hood" changes in Leopard that make for developing way better Apps that can utilize Leopard to the fullest. So have fun with that. Also, you hear a lot of bad things about Leopard because most likely you are looking on these forums where people are posting about problems and bugs but, that doesn't mean that everyone has these problems... it all depends on your exact configuration and needs. People on these forums are most likely looking for help and if someone doesn't have a problem with something, they're most likely not going to post on a web forum because there would be nothing to post about.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think so, but im not sure about the #.

about the only app that will be able to take advantages of it is apple's own BIG apps like iMove, FCP etc. Adobe already said they won't do 64bit photoshop for mac, I really can't imagine 64bit being a big thing for leopard, since when 64bit eventually being significant adopted, OSX 10.7 would be out.

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

So what? That's OK you decided to get Leopard, you have your reasons, so lets move on.

;)

25. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Leopard is a 64 bit OS on 64 bit processors and 32 on 32 bit processors. That is a fact not an assumption.