I was promised new iPhone 3G S for my old iPhone 3G 8GB due to issues, read inside...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamzab, Jun 10, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I bought a new iPhone 3G 8GB in November/December 2008.

Since then I have had 5 replacements, two of them have failed as in dont start up applications or can ring numbers, 1 of them has had the Bezel come loose from the side with light leak. One has had around 5 dead pixels after just getting it replaced by the Apple genius at the store and one literally cracked at the charger, my guess due to the heat.

After my 5th replacement, I rang up my Apple care rep, I was put straight through to a manager. She then talked to me about the issue, I said I was annoyed that student like me had dished about quite a bit of money but still could not enjoy the money I spent (I was technically giving back the iPhone every month since January) It had cost me a lot of money, and more importantly, time to go into Central London, wait for half an hour for a genius to see me, then tell me that the problems were normal (wtf? Still dont understand how they're put up to say silly things like a cracked bottom happens? My phone is always in a case and belt pouch and has never had ANY scratches on it, Im very OCD about my stuff, my first iPhone even had an Invisible Shield on it but it is now wasted thanks to the replacements!) and then finally dish out a replacement with a dirty look as if it was coming out of his own pay packet!

After talking to the manager she put me through to an "Apple Engineer", these people serioulsy don't know the stuff. Now I would've thought he knew the cracking issue and the light leak but alas no. After many days of repetitive phonecalls we finally came to a shaky agreement of saying I would get the new iPhone replacement when it came out, he used the pretext that he didn't know when it would come out but I knew that it'd be out in June/July so ever since April/ early May Ive been waiting with a cracked iPhone, which now has also developed cracks on the headphone port as well.

Now Ive got a feeling that this "engineer" did not write all this down. Ive been trying to ring the number that I rang for two days now but to no avail. Ive got a feeling they've ditched me and Ive also tried to ring the Apple care manager again. Ive got a feeling I need to tell her everything again.

So, if you were in my position, what would you do? I almost feel like giving up, Ive spent a fair chunk of cash on this, Im by no means rich, Im an Apple Fanboy and my Job pay's for this. Ive had 5 replacements and all of them have had major problems. She offered me another replacement in April for my cracked one but I said "whats the point" no point Apple wasting more money on me

Please help guys

HamzaB

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, if you really wanted to stick it to them, you'd demand a refund and nothing short of it.

However, you obvioulsy want an iPhone. Seems all you can do is keep on down the path you're on, just make sure you note down who you spoke to, on what number, and when.

3. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure thing mate, I have all their numbers and the Managers name but with the Engineer I have his email, It has the first initial of his first name and his surname so Im guessing thats not too bad :rolleyes:

Your right, I think Im going to keep on going on with this, Ive come too far just to give up now

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

In all honesty, had this arrangement been legitimate they would have given you a reference number to refer to later.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ the guy is right

However, a few things urk me about what you have to say ...
    Honestly, do you know how many people use the "omg I'm a student … a poor one at that" lines? You being a student does not set you aside, above, or below anyone else who paid for an iPhone.

If you had an IS on your first phone then you would know that IS offers a replacement program but you need the original IS pulled off the phone to send in. You did not waste your IS ... you simply did not make awesome use of the replacements they offer.

And there it is ... shaky + agreement = null.

If your job pays for your phone then what does it really matter in the end?

I feel as though you will have to start the process all over again but in the end you're going to walk away with a new phone with new flaws. Just do what the above posters are saying ... make note of who you speak to and such and eventually it'll all work out.

6. ARK macrumors 6502

Im in the same boat as far as having replacements but I've never talked to AppleCare about it. Just went to the store and they replaced it each time. So far my issues were:

1. Dust under screen/light leak - Replaced
    2. Couldnt send text message (error) - Replaced
    3. Connection drops in/out - Replaced

My current iphone has a problem too. The speaker works, but speakerphone doesn't work. I'm going to take it back again after the hype goes down regarding the 3gs. Maybe I will get a refurbished 3gs. Not a student either.

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I think he meant his job pays for this as in, he works and the money HE earns pays for it.

8. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Wow. FIVE replacements-- that is very, very bad.

I think that:

1. you should get your money back-- although after FIVE replacement APPLE must wonder if this is a hoax...

2. You should write a letter documenting all this and send it to Apple.

3. I don't think it's likely that they will honor their agreement to give you a
    3G S

9. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

I've given The Apple care rep all 4 of the repair ID no.s documenting when where and why the Apple store, Regent Street replaced each iPhone

I've gone too far too ask for a refund, I want to see this through, I've also been on the phone to trading standards and they've been quite supportive

The Applecare Customer relations secretary has told me that she is on the phone to one of her superiors and will give me the verdict by tomorrow on wether they will replace it or not. I'm
    Going to see this one through, hopefully trading standards will help me out as well

Also to other members who are sati g it doesn't matter if your a student, well to me it does, why don't you switch on for a minute. I'm a full
    Time student and work weekends meaning I have LESS disposable
    Income then you full time workers, meaning for every pound I spend I have to think twice before I buy. It has taken me some time to save up for that iPhone and when it breaks I feel bad, and when Apple don't help out it makes me feel even more worse, my hard earned money goes to waste, I still hve not had a fully functional, crack free iPhone, I paid a premium
    For Apple goods and I expect their not to be cracks or dead pixels within 14 days, you tell me, any of you experience cracking in your Nokias? Loose sides on your G1s or complete Bezels coming loose on your Samsungs?

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Its strange that mass failure seems to follow people. I read lots of stories where a single person has 3-5+ failures, yet most of us have none. Makes me wonder how one person can keep having failing devices, and the rest of us have no problems.

11. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Beats me Kido...

12. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Oh no. Being a student does not make you anymore noble than anyone else.

"I'm a bricklayer. I work hard for my meager wage..." Same thing.

For the most part. Any money that you have worked hard for is dear, and your money is no different.

13. jgctx macrumors newbie

I wrote the CEO of ATT about my issues. $1000 credit and free new Iphone 3gs. I wrote them about 3 months ago and part of the agreement we came to was a free upgrade when the new phone came out. We all knew when it would surface, but they just said 'when' it came out. I am going to pick mine up on the 19th as a pre-order.

So write the CEO

14. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

QUICK UPDATE:

Finally got through to them, after repeated attempts she had no excuse as to why she didnt return my calls.

She is now telling me that I have to pay an upgrade fee when I was previoulsy promised an iPhone 3G S for free. She says she will discuss the matter in more detail on the 19th when she has better knowledge of the pricing and details of the iPhone 3G S.

Im now afraid that i'll have to battle AppleCare once again on trying to get through! :(

15. oncdoc macrumors newbie